starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee pain while squatting

Default Knee pain while squatting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A couple months ago I read Starting Strength and Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe and 2/7/21 I started the program and I was having a lot of success going up 5lbs a workout until on 3/9/21 I hurt my knee on the last set of the squats. Starting numbers squat 185 and ended 260, press 85 and ended 125, deadlift 195 and ended 255, bench press 155 and ended 180. These are all work sets, 3 sets of 5. I have had this pain in my knee before so I stopped lifting and started wearing a knee brace and started riding a recumbent bike. It is starting to feel a little better but I am not willing to start squatting yet and as you know the SS program is squatting 3 times a week on every workout. I am 5’10”,276lbs, and 48 years old. I started the KETO diet at the first of the year and went from 316lbs down to 276lbs and I would like to get down to 190 to 200 by the end of the year but I want to get stronger and stay strong.
    I am one of those guys that does not have issues gaining weight and the Keto diet seems to help with the weight loss but at the same time I know my workouts are better with some carbs before hand. So what recommendations would help me to get back on the program?

Video?

Your squat is all fucked up, as we all suspected with a knee injury. There are about 20 videos and articles about this available to you.

I have been watching the videos and have read several articles and both books. What specifically can I do to improve my squat? I watching the squat video at the beginning of each workout and trying to follow the instructions and I started doing the video so that I could check my form. Please help.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Yeah, watch every Starting Strength squat tutorial you can find. I switched to an SS squat style after years of squatting with knee pain and it's helped quite a bit.

That, and turn off your Tapatalk sig.

Hey Mark E., I'm not an SSC, but based on what I can see it looks like you're doing a bit of a higher bar squat, your torso is a bit more upright and your knees are coming forward quite a bit. It also looks like you may not be bracing properly at the top of each rep. Also, the type of shoes you're wearing look like running shoes which are going to be create an unstable point of contact between you and the ground.

If you have the means, I'd recommend getting and using a belt and lifting shoes. And go through the SS squat set up and treat each rep like a single, reset at the top and make sure each one is perfect. Try moving to a lower bar position, push the hips back on the descent and try to minimize forward knee travel. Use the "tubow" to assist this.

Thank you Ryan. I will try those things. The video that you watched was me squatting on 3/4" horse stall mats on top of carpet. I know that that surface is not the best stable surface to squat on. So I built a platform with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. I would like to get some lifting shoes but I am not sure what to buy. I have also been looking into the SS belts but I have not pulled the trigger because I was not sure if I should get the single or double ply. I was also hoping to lose more weight so that I would not need as large of belt but I guess I can always punch holes in it. Thank you again Ryan. When I reached out I was really hoping for more help. I have been been a big fan of Mark Rippetoe and the SS program for years. Here is a picture of the new platform.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by markeddington View Post
    When I reached out I was really hoping for more help.
    Since your squat is completely off, start with the squat resources, perhaps the FAQ above? Go look at videos of others in the technique forum. Unless you hire a coach or show up to an event, you have to get this done on your own, so you might as well get started on the education side. It's already laid out for you, and it's your end that needs to put in the work: Seminars & Camps, Coaches, Books, Articles, Videos, and endless forum posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast