starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Schedule

Default Programming Schedule

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Im looking for help with my programming. I'm a 49 year old novice. My job is out of town with no access to equipment Monday to Wednesday. Im having difficulty figuring out how to get my lifts in and still have recovery time. What should my programming look like for days that Im home (Thursday to Sunday)?

Thanks

Run Thu/Sat, Fri/Sun, or Thu/Sun, focusing on intensity more than volume, and keep that break between your A and B days. If you manage during your workdays with a tree limb or something, do your chins then.

Just accept that it's not ideal and your lifts won't go up as fast as they would if you ran it 3x/week. But at 49, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as you'll find with the heavier lifts that your recovery isn't what it was as if you were in your 20s or 30s. There are a few 2-day program schedules listed in The Barbell Prescription in "The Novice Over 60" chapter that would still apply to you, as they are prescribed for "athletes who cannot engage in 3-day programs due to...scheduling considerations."

I do something similar during the winter months, as my focus is on snowboarding, but at 53 I don't want to lose too much of what I worked for the previous year. So I make sure to get at least one intensity session for each lift each week, usually on a Thu/Sat split, and can still progress in each lift.

Thank you

Seems to me you’re going to lift 2 days a week. Work with what you got.