starting strength gym

Thread: Block Periodization

Default Block Periodization

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There's very little discussion about this type of programming on this board and in the books. I'm just wondering if any of the coaches can shed some light on it?

There's basically 3 programs that get talked about, NLP, TM & HLM. I assume this is down to the fact that most people are novice's or intermediate's.

Thanks for your time.

Mark - kindly let me ask this question. I think one or two threads that I've started, you have deleted.

Sure, Tom. But your questions are sometimes not very interesting.

Matter of opinion. They might be helpful for some. I'd sure like some ideas with regards to this type of programming.

Periodization was heavily talked about when I was getting a USA track and field coaching certification for throws maybe 10 years ago. We read Bompa's book on it. I won't comment on the USATF program as a whole but looking back, everything the throws coaches taught us about programming was essentially the 2 factor model. What sticks out to me were a couple things they said (paraphrased):

For speed, all that matters is how fast you can get across the circle.

For flexibility, you only need to be flexible enough to perform the throw.

So essentially the program was strength training and sport specific training - which should sound familiar. Nearing a peak for a key competition, the programming reduced strength volume and increased throwing.