starting strength gym

Thread: Weakness in my back when using the stairmaster needs to be corrected

Default Weakness in my back when using the stairmaster needs to be corrected

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My physical therapist identified weakness in my back that is causing pain. (I already stopped using the stairmaster regularly. But I want to resume it as soon as possible.) My backpain happens when I use the stairmaster for too long. I prefer to use the stairmaster for most of my cardio for personal reasons. Physical therapy is inefficient, so I thought I'd ask: what strength exercises should I use to help my lower back support myself when I use a stairmaster? I'm starting to do squats and stiff-legged dead lifts. I have been doing Roman Chair exercises with weights since before my back weakness was identified. There is something about how I lean forward on the stairmaster that brings on the back pain for the rest of the day, but I think if I had enough back strength there would be no pain.

I too think there is a good chance that if your back were stronger, you might not have pain. I recommend the Starting Strength novice linear progression to start: Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company

Do what Hayden told you to do.

I've read the book. I wonder if there is something besides squats and stiff-legged deadlifts that would target the exact muscle group I need to work on.

What exact muscle group is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by todd_h View Post
    I've read the book. I wonder if there is something besides squats and stiff-legged deadlifts that would target the exact muscle group I need to work on.
    The novice linear progression has been recommended to you--the focus of the Starting Strength program is building strength by training movement patterns, not by targeting muscle groups. All of five of the major exercises will strengthen your back and most likely solve any back weakness issue you have. If that recommendation does not feel suitable for you, this is probably not the right place to get different advice.

My suggestion is to try the Starting Strength novice linear progression with no stiff-legged deadlifts or any other extras, and see what happens!

Erector spinae (lower-mid) and the thoracolumbar fascia.

starting strength coach development program
    How do squats and deadlifts omit the erector spinae and the thoracolumbar fascia?