starting strength gym

Thread: Coming Back From Injury Layoff

Default Coming Back From Injury Layoff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I injured my hand a while back, ended up with 3 locked fingers, seeing an ortho about it within the coming week.

What I'm trying to do in the meantime is plan how I should be coming back once I can make a fist. I've read the section in PPST regarding coming back and listened to SS Radio #57 where Rip discusses coming back after house arrest/quarantine. I wrote out a plan for the first 4 weeks of my return and I'd like some feedback on what I'm planning. Am I being too aggressive with my comeback jumps or not aggressive enough?

I am male, 265 lbs, 6 feet tall, 28 years old. My initial lifts before my injury were Squat 325, Bench 225, Press 160, and Deadlift 355, all of them for sets of 5, and all of them are shit I know. I had discovered the joys of mixed grip deadlifts right beforehand and it made my 355x5 deadlift effortless, so I'm planning on being very aggressive there to try and build my deadlift up to 50-70 lbs over my squat where it should be. If this is being stupid let me know.

0123456789.jpg

Overall I think these seem reasonable. I wouldn't be more aggressive with jumps. If anything you might need to be a little more conservative with jumps, particularly the upper body lifts. I like to have my clients to ramping sets of 5s initially (not tapering the early sets) to get them used to training volume again early on. And yes, get your Deadlift up.