starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But Won't Deads Catch Up to Squats Following the Program?!

Default But Won't Deads Catch Up to Squats Following the Program?!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I consistently hear Rip & other coaches chastise we in the novitiate for having deadlifts which are not far enough ahead of our squats, and it doesn't seem to be limited to early in the progression.

However, in the blue book, Programming chapter, Workout section (p.296-7 in print), we are only to work squats and deads every day for about 2 weeks, which is about as long as big 10-20 lb jumps might even be attempted (Progession section, p. 304-5 in print). After that, the A-B workout schedule switches deadlifts to every other workout, and after another 2 or 3 weeks, possibly to every 4th workout. If this is the program, and if by this point, we should be on 5 lb jumps for both the squat and the deadlift, then from somewhere around the middle of the second month and for "several months" after, the squat should be progressing SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the deadlift, and would catch up to it in short order.

I am about 3.5 months in, and my Deadlift is only 25 lbs more than my squat.

Am I understanding (and doing) this right? Or am [I]NDPT?

Ridicule welcome, so long as it comes with useful correction.

The deadlift starts, usually, significantly ahead of the squat, maybe 50 pounds more. There's no reason, nor does the book say so explicitly, that you stop pulling every session after just 2 weeks. Lots of people continue to make progress pulling every session for a long time. They also make progress pulling twice a week for a long time, too.

You do not make modifications after arbitrary periods of time; modifications are made as necessary. There is no, "do X for Y number of workouts, then change to Z, etc." You won't find it in SSBBT3 or PPST3. Incidentally, you should acquire Practical Programming.

There is also the point where increases on the squat go to only twice a week, too.

That being said, don't worry too much about the discrepancy between the squat and the deadlift. There's no set ratio and there are a lot of factors that dictate the spread between the two movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    There's no reason, nor does the book say so explicitly, that you stop pulling every session after just 2 weeks.
    Quoting, from the third edition of SS:

The two workouts alternate across the MWF schedule for the first couple of weeks...At this point the power clean is introduced...
    After the first couple of weeks, you squat every workout and alternate the bench press and press, and the
    deadlift and power clean.

Chandler, the main things to rule out is that you're not screwing up and squatting high or pussing out on your deadlifts and skipping them. Satch's explanation is exactly right.

zft, try reading the chapter in context and paying attention to the fact that all of these are dependent on the lifter. An example is not a directive. Get used to that as it applies to every single program arrangement in the books.

"A couple" does not mean "two." It may mean two, three, or more. In rhetoric, it is usually understood to mean "more than one, but less than many."

Yeah, right. It's just an example until fifty percent of the posts by novices on this board are dismissed with a "YOU'RE NOT DOING THE PROGRAM".

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Yeah, right. It's just an example until fifty percent of the posts by novices on this board are dismissed with a "YOU'RE NOT DOING THE PROGRAM".
    That's because 75% of the novices on this board are not doing the program.

The deadlift starts, usually, significantly ahead of the squat, maybe 50 pounds more.
    If you truly follow the procedure(s) in the blue book for the first workout, I think it's almost inevitable that you will deadlift much more than you squat. Thus, if you start with the squat and deadlift close together, you're already not doing the program.

My first NLP run, I started them only 20 pounds apart, and they stayed close. I think it was a factor in failing to set my low back consistently, which led to an injury. This is helpful: Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 1: Perception vs Reality | Robert Santana

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    What the fuck does this mean other than, “Shit, I’m wrong, but prefer to double down and be snotty?”

starting strength coach development program
    What the fuck does this mean other than, “Shit, I’m wrong, but prefer to double down and be snotty?”
    Either the program is well-defined or it's up to the individual and the text just illustrates an example. You don't get both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast