starting strength gym

Thread: Getting ready to start program

Default Getting ready to start program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone. I purchased SS book and read it a few years ago but was traveling a ton so could not do the program at that time. I was mostly doing pushups/pullups/dips etc...whatever I could do in hotels. About a year ago, I started barbell training again, but was following more of a bodybuilding routine. I actually just finished gaining weight from this, but most of you would just say I am still really skinny. I weigh 190 @ 6'1. I'm 39 years old. Body fat % is prob around 14% right now. My lifts are all out of whack, primarily my squat.

Approx:
    Bench Press: 225x5
    Press: 155x5
    Squat: 215x5
    DL: 315x5
    Cleans: 125x3 (I just started working on these a few weeks ago to get the technique down)

Should I just start out as a total rank novice? As if I never lifted ever? And follow the program as written in the book? I see alot about eating massive amounts of calories. I have gained/lost weight several times over the past few years so I have a general idea of how many calories I need in order to maintain. What is the expectation in caloric surplus? Should I shoot to gain 1-2 pounds a week at my age?

When I commit myself to doing something, I like to follow everything exactly. But I want to make sure I understand the program completely first. Also, there is a starting strength gym about 2 hours north of me and I am waiting for a seminar so I can dial in my squat/DL form.

Thx
    Nick

You're not really interested in doing this, so just drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD81 View Post
    When I commit myself to doing something, I like to follow everything exactly.
    So read Practical Programming and follow its advice to your heart's content. Every (yes, every) question you asked is explicitly addressed in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're not really interested in doing this, so just drop it.
    What part of what I said would lead you to that conclusion?

Perfect. I'll get it tonight.

I weigh 190 @ 6'1... I see alot about eating massive amounts of calories. I have gained/lost weight several times over the past few years so I have a general idea of how many calories I need in order to maintain. What is the expectation in caloric surplus? Should I shoot to gain 1-2 pounds a week at my age?

When I commit myself to doing something, I like to follow everything exactly. But I want to make sure I understand the program completely first. Also, there is a starting strength gym about 2 hours north of me and I am waiting for a seminar so I can dial in my squat/DL form.
    You are underweight. If you want to do the program, you're looking at something like 50 lbs over 2-3 months, otherwise you will hit a wall. I was around your size when I started.

And follow the program as written in the book?
    It is usually a bad idea to not do what smart people write in books. Especially of you have not read the book. The only person who got away with it was Chuck Norris, because he could.

starting strength coach development program
    There are two books the community pretty much expects you to have read quite fully before asking questions: Starting Strength and Practical Programming. After decades of answering questions already answered in the books, it seems some can be a little short in their answers. I learned this by hanging out here before asking any questions, and seeing other people’s questions and responses. If you ha don’t done that, the forum can seem a bit harsh at times.

It really isn’t, but there is an expectation you’ll put in the effort to learn the basics before asking. Hang in, and the place will turn out to be quite friendly.

There is actually also a third book: The Barbell Prescription, aimed at the lifter who is 40+, but also worth a look (a good long look) if you’re younger, which I see you are - just.

As to your question, “Should I just start out as a total rank novice?” The Barbell Prescription has this to say at the beginning of chapter 19:

“If you’re wondering whether or not you’re a novice, you’re a novice.”