starting strength gym

Thread: Help recovering after covid related lifting hiatus

Default Help recovering after covid related lifting hiatus

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi fellow lifters,

I started lifting 2 years ago, at 28, and finished my linear progression some time before the 'rona struck in my country. The gyms were closed for almost half a year, and I admit, I got lazy and, naturally, my lifts suffered. Since the gyms reopened I've done 2 cycles of 5/3/1 with FSL, however, I am unsure whether I should stick with it. Anyone got some advice on programming? Should I devise my own or follow someone else's program?

Here's my lifts (if it helps):

Current
    S: 5x107.5 kg
    B: 5x80 kg
    D: 5x120 kg
    P: 5x57.5 kg

Before 'rona
    S: 5x142.5 kg
    B: 5x90 kg
    D: 5x152.5 kg
    P: 5x62.5 kg

So after a 6-month break from lifting, you went straight into an intermediate program? While, at 28, your pre-shutdown lifts tell the story that you probably weren't even close to needing intermediate programming?

This is where Rip includes the link to the blue book. Perhaps even the grey book.

Height/weight would be helpful. At age 28 with your current and previous numbers, it seems likely that working back through a linear progression would be fine for you.

Damn, I knew i forgot something.

Height: 189 cm (6'2'')
    Weight: 105 kg (230 lbs)
    Self-assessed bf%: 22%

That confirms it.

After doing that intermediate program (5/3/1) twice through, you're currently squatting just at bodyweight and deadlifting 10% above bodyweight? Quit wasting your time and start a simple linear progression.

Okay, that's definitely what I needed to hear, thanks.

So, any recommendations? Is it viable going back to the basic 3x5 or is that too little volume?

Quote Originally Posted by isagelib View Post
    So, any recommendations? Is it viable going back to the basic 3x5 or is that too little volume?
    Based on your numbers, no recommendations other than the novice linear progression. Here's an overview:

Who Wants to be a Novice? You Do | Mark Rippetoe

For more information, here's the book:

Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company

starting strength coach development program
    I had covid, stopped lifting for 2 weeks, then on my second day back hit a squat rep PR.