starting strength gym

Thread: Post Novice Programming for Older Lifters - Back off method

Default Post Novice Programming for Older Lifters - Back off method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For our hypothetical trainee, page 236-Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd Edition, what would the light-day workout be?

The light day for the "Back-off" method is the same as for the preceding "Starr Method", which is that the "light-day workout stops at the last warmup set for heavy day" (p. 233-234).

For 1 or 5 reps? Because in the "Back-off" method the last warmup set is for 1 rep.

I retract my earlier comment, as I'm less confident reading it again. For the light day, it looks like the work sets are 5 reps, topping out at the weight for the last warmup set for the heavy day. That would at least provide a reduction for light day, even if it doesn't seem super-clear. If there is a recovery issue, I wouldn't be shy about doing less on the light day.

It is not clear. It seems too heavy for Light Day. Especially if you are doing 3 reps for the Heavy Day working set, it would not be very light doing 5 reps at the weight for the last warmup set for that Heavy Day and that set (For Light Day) would be heavier than the Back-Off sets.
    Until i get a clear answer, for Light Day i will be doing 3x5 @ 80% of Heavy Day working set weight.

3x5 @80% of heavy day work weight tends to work well. If it's still too much, you can use 2x5 @80%.

starting strength coach development program
    Sully and Andy have some important modifications in their book. I'm 53 now and have found that lower volume and greater intensity are the ticket, as per their recommendations. I use 2x5 @ 88-90% of 5rm for squats. Depending on your age you might find that works better.