starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming Chins

Default Programming Chins

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    SS3ED suggests starting with 3 sets of body-weight chins to sub in for the deadlift. I have noticed that every time I do chins, my bench will struggle mightily at the next workout, presumably from frying my triceps. Also, I'm not very good at chins, and not getting much better (been at 7, 7, 6 for a while). The rest of the lifts are progressing nicely.

When I had unrelated elbow pain I did Rip's program of submaximal reps of chins which not only took care of the elbow pain just as advertised, I also got quite a bit more volume in. 4 chins, rest 30 seconds, 4 more, rest 45 seconds, 4 more, rest 1 minute, etc... In total, I did 35 in less than 20 minutes.

My question is this: For getting better at chins within the NLP, must we do 3-sets of AMRAP body weight, or can we do something like 'as many reps within X number of minutes' in order to get the most out of the program?

Please yourself. Chins are not a main lift. Just keep in mind that it's real easy to irritate things with some schemes, eg. low rep + adding weight, probably due to the tension aspects.

Curious as to how one can fry their triceps doing chins? As far as impacting your bench, the only impact I see would be fatiguing your lats, perhaps.

Just my assumption, I certainly could be wrong. The workout after chins, I would routinely fail my next progression on bench and I thought there was a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Curious as to how one can fry their triceps doing chins? As far as impacting your bench, the only impact I see would be fatiguing your lats, perhaps.
    It seems strange if you don't know how the muscles are actually put together. The triceps are mostly known for elbow extension, but they actually bridge the shoulder and elbow joints, and do play some role in shoulder extension. Many muscles are like this, it's why the hamstrings get worked in the squat.

Triceps have almost no involvement in chins. It is almost completely biceps (not a factor in benching) and lats (which are very much so for stability, etc.). The point is that if chins are adversely affecting his bench, it ain't because of the very small amount of activation triceps receive doing them. Much more likely it would be from smoking the lats or perhaps general buildup of fatigue. Hammys are much more directly recruited in the squat than bis are during chins.

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    Triceps have almost no involvement in chins.
    There is no shoulder extension in a chinup?

I didn't say that. I'm talking involvement of various muscle groups, relatively speaking. Triceps aren't getting "fried" on chinups.

Nothing gets "fried" on chinups. That's why they are a useful assistance exercise. But the triceps are certainly trained quite hard, as anyone who has benched or pressed after chins knows.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, I certainly agree with that last point. Though I suspect we would also agree that it would be backward (majoring on the minors and minoring on the majors) to bench or press after chins anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast