starting strength gym

Thread: have not been to the gym since the lockdown

Default have not been to the gym since the lockdown

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I completely milked SS linear progression and obtained an SS coach after that. Then covid. Both my gym and my coach' gym died of covid. I have not done much expecting things to go back to normal.
    Now I am pretty weak and still refuse to wear masks while lifting outdoors. So I bough my own rack and weights. the question is do I go back to linear or what do I do? thank you

Do a quick search on here and see how often the question "should I do NLP" has come up with the answer "no".

Quote Originally Posted by therussianrocket View Post
    I completely milked SS linear progression and obtained an SS coach after that. Then covid. . . . the question is do I go back to linear or what do I do? thank you
    Coach Rippetoe earlier addressed the topic of how to re-start training, if you have been unable to go to the gym because of the pandemic (start at 42:30):

Rip’s Rant and Getting Back in the Gym After House Arrest | Starting Strength Radio #57

Avoiding soreness is the priority--note that for the first workout, Coach Rippetoe initially says that someone who was squatting 365 before the layoff should come back and do 225x5x3, but then he says do only one work set, not three. He then gives some additional examples.

Squats are the key, because if you do too much, you will be really sore. If you stick with a low weight for 1x5 for the first work set squats, then after the first workout, you probably will not have much soreness and will be able to do 3x5 for the squat work sets and increase 10lbs for each workout for two weeks or more. Then you can go back to regular NLP and set PRs before too long.

Here's a thread with some more info, including, from stef(!), a discussion and link (it's the thread in which I first mentioned the above):

post lockdown restart

Good luck!