starting strength gym

Thread: The Nebraska model

Default The Nebraska model

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Couple of questions about the program:

1. How much percentage in the volume day for squats and press?
    And for Snatch and Clean in volume day?

2. Seems like this model is harder then the original Texas method, will it be a good idea switching to 5x5 in an intensity ladder(like bill starr recommendation)
    Exemple: 90/100/110/120/130
    (Depends on the the percentage of the strict 5x5, if it’s 90% like the Texas method seems to much for me)

3. Another idea is to do 5RM front squat instead of 5RM back squat in the intensity day, and then using the front squat weight for 5RM in the volume day with back squat for 5x5

Currently my thoughts:

Monday-
    Power Snatch 6x2
    Power Clean 6x3
    Rack Jerk 3x2

Tuesday-
    Squat 90-100-110-120-130
    Press ^^^^^^^
    Chin Ups 3x8

Thursday-
    Power Snatch 5x1
    Power Clean 5x1
    Rack jerk 3x1

Saturday-
    Squat 5RM
    Press 5RM
    Deadlift 5RM

Thank you.

Try doing ascending sets for the squat and sets across for the press. Or maybe 5x5 for the press and 3x5 for squats. It depends on your numbers though... It has to be enough stress to elicit an adaptation, but not too much that makes recovery impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by Chilik View Post
    Couple of questions about the program:

1. How much percentage in the volume day for squats and press?
    And for Snatch and Clean in volume day?

2. Seems like this model is harder then the original Texas method, will it be a good idea switching to 5x5 in an intensity ladder(like bill starr recommendation)
    Exemple: 90/100/110/120/130
    (Depends on the the percentage of the strict 5x5, if it’s 90% like the Texas method seems to much for me)

3. Another idea is to do 5RM front squat instead of 5RM back squat in the intensity day, and then using the front squat weight for 5RM in the volume day with back squat for 5x5

Currently my thoughts:

Monday-
    Power Snatch 6x2
    Power Clean 6x3
    Rack Jerk 3x2

Tuesday-
    Squat 90-100-110-120-130
    Press ^^^^^^^
    Chin Ups 3x8

Thursday-
    Power Snatch 5x1
    Power Clean 5x1
    Rack jerk 3x1

Saturday-
    Squat 5RM
    Press 5RM
    Deadlift 5RM

Thank you.

The exact weights / intensity levels / percentages you use for a given program is going to be pretty individualized. The important takeaway from this program is simply how it's organized. Don't get too hung up on EXACTLY what the percentages should be or even the exact volume we used in the example. It's an example. In general you are going to use one day where you train the snatch/clean/jerk maximally with very heavy singles. On an alternate day you might do a little bit lighter with a bit more volume. However, some might just prefer to keep both days more or less maximally heavy with singles and then just do some back offs to make up some volume.

For the "slow" days, using a Texas Method type structure with volume day and an intensity day is fine. Some might do better organizing it as "Heavy / Light" vs "Volume / Intensity". This is really a sports program that uses the olympic lifts rather than an olympic lifting program. For that reason I'd prefer to just focus on back squats. An olympic lifter is going to have to front squat as that is part of the recovery from the clean, but for an athlete using the power versions of the lifts only, it's not necessary. For an athlete a back squat is a better movement than the front squat due to the involvement of the hips/hams, etc. If you want to find a way to incorporate some front squats into the program, I'm fine with that, but I'd make back squats the primary focus.

If you are using this program you are a late stage intermediate or advanced athlete who should have at least some idea of how to organize sets/reps/loads/volumes, etc. Use your own training data to make your best educated guess, set something up, then give it your best shot and see what happens, making small adjustments as you go.

Thank you guys, things to think about as I go.
    One thing though, you said this model is for late intermediate, actually-I’ve just finished my NLP.
    I choose this program cause I liked the emphasis on the Snatch and Clean.

You think I’ll do better with the 4 day split original Texas method that I will change a little bit and add more emphasis on the Snatch and Clean?