starting strength gym

Thread: Realistic expectations for powerbuilding cycle?

Default Realistic expectations for powerbuilding cycle?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Broad question:

I'm a 50+ but generally fit lifter. Before the pandemic, I'd been doing mostly intermediate powerlifting training, but I ended up taking a year and a half off, between the inaccessibility of gyms, situational depression, etc. I've more or less maintained a reasonable weight, but I've lost a lot of muscle, and gained belly fat.

I'm starting to lift again informally, just to get used to moving again. I've been thinking of running a bodybuilding or powerbuilding program for a few months before I return to dedicated strength work, and I'm wondering if there's a way to get a sense of what I could expect in, say, 12 weeks of hard and focused work (programming and nutrition). The Internet is full of everything from "Before/after of skinny (or pudgy) guy transforming into Zac Efron in 8 weeks!" to "You'll need a 16-month building phase before you start the real program." What is the range of realistic expectations for what I could accomplish in the next few months?

What is "powerbuilding"?

Hybrid program that combines powerlifting training with bodybuilding work.

I don't want to give up any real strength work for a long time, but I'd like to try to look good too. At least at the start ;-)

Ah. That explains the clever combination of the two terms. Look, Rambler, this is probably not a good board for you to post on. Maybe read the books, try to figure out what we're doing here, and come back later.