starting strength gym

Thread: can I just do 4x8 after doing 5x5?

Default can I just do 4x8 after doing 5x5?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hi guys, I'm really sorry if this has come up before, I've downloaded both Starting Strength and Practical Programming but it's been so long since I listened to Practical Programming and I've finally stalled in my training routine, the only lift I can still increase each week is the deadlift. I've been doing 5x5 instead of 3x5 though, and from what I understand is that I need to grow my muscles going forward once I can no longer increase the weight to the bar. I really like staying with the big lifts 3x a week if that's possible, will I continue to improve my LP by doing 4x8 instead or do I need to do something totally different as deloads, Texas Method, etc? I feel like those are more for advanced lifters and not pre-intermediate?

You can do whatever you want, but if you want to make progress, why don't you just do 3x5 instead of 5x5 like the program calls for?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

You can do whatever you want, but if you want to make progress, why don't you just do 3x5 instead of 5x5 like the program calls for?
    Thanks for the feedback, I just had already begun doing 5x5 before downloading SS because that's what a friend had told me, so I kind of just kept those intervals and used the SS for scheduling the lifts and to learn more about each lift. However, once I've begun to fail on 5x5, wouldn't 3x5 be worse if I'm supposed to increase volume instead?

Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company
    yep, listening to it again right now Rip, I guess I just wanted a quick fix before my next workout of tomorrow, but I'll listen to it again and perhaps change my workout for next week!

Quote Originally Posted by sirlinx View Post
    However, once I've begun to fail on 5x5, wouldn't 3x5 be worse if I'm supposed to increase volume instead?
    You should do 3x5 until that stops working. 5x5 is too much at the moment, so 3x5 is the way to solve that problem. Change to 3x5 immediately. In the mean time, read Practical Programming.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

You should do 3x5 until that stops working. 5x5 is too much at the moment, so 3x5 is the way to solve that problem. Change to 3x5 immediately. In the mean time, read Practical Programming.
    Thanks Andrew, I will do that, I'm really just stuck at the last rep or two of the 5th set, so I'm sure I can still increase the weight using three sets instead, I was just really scared of losing size if I dropped sets. But I will do that for sure and see how it goes!

starting strength coach development program
    Spoiler: If you actually do it, it will go well. Lifting heavier weight is made possible by becoming stronger. If you get stronger, you'll get bigger.