starting strength gym

Thread: How to calculate weight to use for triples, doubles, singles in TM

Talking How to calculate weight to use for triples, doubles, singles in TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi folks, I have a question regarding how to calculate the weight to use in the intensity day for the Texas Method when we stop doing sets of 5.

For example, today I failed to 1x5x180Kg Deadlift, I only got 4 reps. So, the next week I plan to do just a triple but how much weight should I put on the bar?

And how do we calculate it when we are doing multiple sets in the intensity day, not just one triple. For example, if I want to do 2 triples for the bench press and my last bench was a grinder 1x5x100Kg, I imagine that the percentage used to calculate these triples is different than the one for the deadlift, because here I will be doing 2 triples and for the deadlift it’s just 1 triple.

You don't drop from a set of five to a set of three, then doubles, then one single. You keep the general amount of total reps, so 2x3, 3x2, 5x1.

Further, you don't adjust the weights at all until you've been through a round of running it out. Intensity day always progresses at the same interval generally regardless of whether you're doing a set of five, triples, doubles, or singles.

So, for your next deadlift workout, you'd do two triples at 180kg. The next week the same at 182.5kg. When you miss, move to three sets of doubles; keep the weight increment increase the same. Once you've worked your way down to singles and failed on those, then you start over again.

This is detailed in section 2 of the Texas Method chapter in PPST3.

Further, you don't adjust the weights at all until you've been through a round of running it out. Intensity day always progresses at the same interval generally regardless of whether you're doing a set of five, triples, doubles, or singles.
    Ahhhhaa I see! I'll do that then. I actually have the book and believe me that I have read it, but I got confused with that.

You don't drop from a set of five to a set of three, then doubles, then one single. You keep the general amount of total reps, so 2x3, 3x2, 5x1.
    As far as I understand it (and I have just shown that I fail at understanding things) we do it with the deadlift. At least that's what's shown on page 150 of the grey book. It shows the model for the 4-day Texas Method Split and the deadlift goes from a five to a single, unlike the bench, press and squat. Maybe it's different form the proper Texas Method.

starting strength coach development program
    You don't calculate those weights, you build based on prior data you got when you initially ran it out.