starting strength gym

Thread: programming with time constraints

Default programming with time constraints

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

Seeking guidance on switching to an intermediate program from NLP. Right off the top, physically, I’m not done with the NLP. Having done a few resets and incorporating some late NLP programming (e.g. mid-week light squats), all but my bench are still increasing, and I expect that my bench will begin increasing on schedule again after I get the next smallest microplates in.

The reason I’m planning to move on from NLP is time. I have young children, so am unable to get into the gym before 8:15-8:30 on weeknights, and the gym closes at 10. As a result, over the last several weeks, I’ve had to skip pulls almost every week day because of time. I’m aware of the trick of warming up for the next lift between work sets, but I go to a commercial gym with limited space/equipment, which is prohibitive of occupying multiple stations at once.

So my logic in moving on is that less-efficient progress is better than missing entire lifts. If this is dumb, someone please say so.

What I’m looking for is the intermediate program with the shortest possible time in the gym. Realize this means I am limited to a four-day routine (which is a bummer because I really wanted to try the 3D TM), but the gray book has so many options, I’m struggling the pick the right one. At present, seems like the 4D TM (p. 150 gray book) should work for my constraints, but I’ve also noticed that it’s a two-week cycle and I’m not sure if that’s sufficient stress for an actual novice like me.

Have also considered doing a modified four-day NLP, keeping the 3x5s, the four main lifts, snatch, and chins. But my understanding of the spirit of the NLP is that it’s designed to leverage short recovery windows and subsequently add weight to each lift multiples times per week. Don’t think a 4D NLP would allow for this, so why not just do an intermediate program?

Certainly others have encountered situations like this, so would appreciate hearing any solutions you’ve come up with. In case relevant, details are below, weights in pounds and working sets.

Thanks much.

33, male, 6’2”, 235
    315, 217.5, 415, 150

Have you considered/are you able to have just a bar and plates at home? If so you could just do squats and bench in the gym, and do deadlifts and press at home (assuming you can clean what you press).
    This would cut the gym time back, and at home you can squeeze in the others. I sometimes do some in the morning and some in the evening. Which has helped on hectic days.

Also the barbell prescription book has several alternate NLP workout schedules including a 4 day.
    Not trying to sound smart, I’m a beginner, but I think NLP is more about adding weight each time and less about the days, provided you recover.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Durbin View Post
    Have you considered/are you able to have just a bar and plates at home? If so you could just do squats and bench in the gym, and do deadlifts and press at home (assuming you can clean what you press).
    This would cut the gym time back, and at home you can squeeze in the others. I sometimes do some in the morning and some in the evening. Which has helped on hectic days.

Also the barbell prescription book has several alternate NLP workout schedules including a 4 day.
    Not trying to sound smart, I’m a beginner, but I think NLP is more about adding weight each time and less about the days, provided you recover.

Good luck!
    Unfortunately, I don’t have the space at home for a setup of any kind.

Thanks for the BBRx note. Didn’t know that. Will investigate.