Male
    200 lbs
    5' 7"
    36 years old

SQ: 340 x 2
    DL: 387 x 2
    BP: 225 x 2
    OHP: 120 x 4

I've been consistently strength training for 4+ years with a few hiccups (sick for a few months, gym closed during COVID-19 until I built my own garage gym, etc.). I've started with SS, then did Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for 2 years but got stuck (I believe due to low intensity and frequency). This year I ran SS again, then Andy Baker's Classic HLM but my recovery was not the best and squatting 3 times per week was too much. Currently, I'm doing Andy's GGW2 and I'm loving it because squatting twice per week gives me more recovery time and the intensity is more manageable.

I play soccer about once per week (with friends and some 30+ year-old leagues) but not having played for about a year due to COVID-19 my conditioning is not the best. Also, I gained some weight intentionally to improve my lifts. I'm slower and get tired quickly. I want to include some sprints for conditioning and speed in my training, with conditioning being my highest priority since I play mid-field and need to run up/down. I'm thinking about including 2 sprint sessions per week (or 1 if I have a soccer game that week).

I can train Mon through Sat, and I'm running GGW2 on M/W/F.

I think Jim Wendler suggests running/conditioning on leg days in 5/3/1 Forever, but my legs are too fatigued after squats/deadlifts to be able to run.

How can I program sprints without negatively affecting my squats/deadlifts? Knowing I strength train M/W/F, what schedule would you suggest?

I added some conditioning work this spring. I was doing an 8/5/2 program that had me squatting and pressing on Mondays and Fridays, and benching and deadlifting on Wednesdays. What I did was hill sprints on Saturday mornings (Friday was a volume squat day) and a mile and a half jog on either Tuesdays or Wednesday after my pulls. I thought running would suck after deadlifting but it didn't really suck worse than it ever does. I also did some biking on Sundays but not consistently.

Honestly the hill sprints did way more for my conditioning than the slower distance running. The only reason I did any slower running was because I was training to do a 5k with my daughter.

Hill sprints on Saturday sucked too, but they're over quick. And they got easier quicker too. I'm 44 for whatever it's worth.

Thanks for sharing, Matt. GGW2 has me squatting on Mon and Fri (Fri being light/volume day) and deadlifting on Wed too.

Sprinting on Sat morning would work well because it'd be after my light squat day on Fri. I might try a lighter and longer distance on Wednesday after deadlifting since it won't be so taxing on my legs like sprints, or maybe some interval training like 2 x 800m sprints.

Thanks for giving me some ideas with your training example. Knowing your age is also helpful to have as a benchmark.

Keep in mind, flat sprints are probably going to leave you with more soreness than hill sprints or other largely concentric work like the prowler, etc. Whether it affects your Monday workout or not is probably something you'll have to find out on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Keep in mind, flat sprints are probably going to leave you with more soreness than hill sprints or other largely concentric work like the prowler, etc. Whether it affects your Monday workout or not is probably something you'll have to find out on your own.
    That's a great point. After reading your post I've been thinking about hill sprints vs. regular sprints. I've pulled my hams a couple of times doing sports and going full speed in sprints makes me always a little nervous (I'm sure it's more in my head than in my legs, since I warm up and do dynamic stretches before sprinting). Where I live in Texas is really flat, but will look around to see if I can find some decent hills (or similar). I'll try both and see how fatigued my legs feel for Monday heavy squats.

Thanks for the advice, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by AndresR View Post
    I've pulled my hams a couple of times doing sports and going full speed in sprints makes me always a little nervous (I'm sure it's more in my head than in my legs, since I warm up and do dynamic stretches before sprinting).
    What makes you think stretching and warmups prevent hamstring tears?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What makes you think stretching and warmups prevent hamstring tears?
    Hi Rip. Your Starting Strength book introduced me to this fascinating world of strength training. Thanks!

I'll just say that in my personal experience I pulled muscles when I didn't warm up properly and then sprinted or kicked the ball hard (I pulled a quad in the first ball I touched in a game). I've read your articles about warming up and learned a lot from them. I strictly warm up before strength training and I do the same for any other type of physical activity to prepare the body and muscles for the effort and movement pattern. For sprinting I follow a warm up routine widely used by sprinters.

Not saying it fully prevents pulling a ham though.

This is my honest answer so please be merciful with me

I'm not asking about your experience. I'm asking about the mechanism by which stretching and warmup prevents muscle tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm not asking about your experience. I'm asking about the mechanism by which stretching and warmup prevents muscle tears.
    I'm no expert on the topic so I'll pass on answering that one.

starting strength coach development program
    You seem convinced that it is true. Maybe it's worth some consideration.