• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Stats:
    5'10"
    240 lbs
    26 y/o
    Male

S 205x5x3/ BP 140x5x3/ OP 85x5x3/ DL 255x5x1

First and foremost I'm currently 4 weeks and 1 workout (13 total) into phase one of the SSLP, and this is the first programmed training I've done of any kind really. This being the case I'm not 100% when I should be starting phase 2 (adding the powerclean) of the LP. I have the app and have read the summarized version of the book that it has in it, and I know that it says to start adding power clean when the "freshness" of the deadline wears off. As of yesterday's workout I have still been adding 10 pounds to both my squat and deadlift every workout, however yesterday's work set for DL did start to roll out of my hands on the 4th and 5th rep (yes I know I need to get chalk, I'm planning on picking some up after work).
    Anyway, main question is if it is time to start implementing power cleans into my B workout, follow-up question would be is it probably a good time to drop my Squat and DL jumps to 5lbs a workout. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Short answer, yes and yes. I have the app and both blue and grey books. Best to get both as grey book refines a lot of the novice stuff.

Does the app tell you when to add Power Cleans, Chinups and Light Squats? Based on what?

Agree you should get the blue and gray books. I reference both of them all the time.

As for the weights, I’ve always let failure trigger the next phase. Happened pretty quickly for me with the squat, bench, and press, but I added 10 to the deadlift for a long time. You’re right that you need chalk, and if you’re still using the double overhand grip, switch to one of the stronger alternatives, at least for working sets. Those changes alone will keep that deadlift growing really nicely.

Olympic lifts are fun, so I would work them in ASAP.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm learning power clean tonight!

starting strength coach development program
    oface nailed it. For the deadlift, if you switch to a hook grip you might consider doing it only with the hook grip for a couple workouts or so (i.e., including the warmups). That'll let you get practice on it, and it's better to find problems in the grip (such as pinched skin) when the weight is light. It'll also help you get to where the pain isn't a distraction. Once you feel you're locking it in, go ahead and use double overhand for warmups again.

For reference, I'm middle aged, spent my whole life weak and skinny, and just hit 365 on deadlifts while keeping 10 lb jumps. I suspect you can go up quite a ways before having to slow down.