starting strength gym

Thread: Plateau 320 Squat, 230 Bench

Default Plateau 320 Squat, 230 Bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi There,

I’ve been struggling the past few weeks to pass 320 on the squat and 230 on the bench. I am missing reps.

I am eating around 3500 - 4000 calories per day and I’m 5’6”, 183 lbs.

Should I switch to 3x3 and/or back off method for these 2 lifts? I’ve deloaded by 10% three times and still struggling to move up.

Press - I am still progressing - I’m at 145 for my 3 sets of 5.
    Deadlift - I am progressing, just switched from 10 to 5 lbs jumps. I’m at 345.
    Clean - trying to correct my armpull still

I sleep pretty well and video review my form after every set.

Thanks

What happened when you did 325/235?

At 320 I went 4 reps 3 reps, 3 reps
    I tried 320 again today and got 4, 4 3. Haven't tried 325 yet.

230 I went 3, 3, 2, tried again and got 4, 3 and 3. Haven't tried 235 yet.

For the first time I'm my life my hook grip failed on my 350 deadlift today, could not hold on for the 2nd rep. I put my straps on that I haven't used for a year and managed to get 4 reps but the 5th wouldn't leave the floor. So I guess that's stuck too as of today.

What should I do with this coach? All I want is to add weight to this damn bar.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    For the first time I'm my life my hook grip failed on my 350 deadlift today, could not hold on for the 2nd rep. I put my straps on that I haven't used for a year and managed to get 4 reps but the 5th wouldn't leave the floor. So I guess that's stuck too as of today.
    Make sure you chalk up, chalk is actually extra important for the hook grip. Make sure you get the thumbs good, all over. It also looks like you probably switched to 5s on deadlifts far too late if you are failing that fast after the change. What are you using to increase the press and bench?

I've been adding 5 lbs for all the other lifts. I chalk up really good before deadlifts and I rest about 10 min between my work sets. I'm eating plenty of good carb and protein. I'm wondering what else there is to do here as from my view I have the first 3 questions dialed in as best I can

If you're doing 5 pound jumps on the press and bench, there's another thing you can remedy. You'll need fractional plates, to make jumps smaller than 5 pounds. Press especially will require this, but if you happen to have pushed the bench real far it will also probably require it. This is pretty standard for the LP as it progresses.

starting strength coach development program
    I do have the fractional plates to start microloading the bench press. I just got 3 sets of 5 on the press for 150 so that's not stuck right now.

What's a way I can get unstuck on the squat and deadlift if I'm already doing well on the first 3 questions?