starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I move on?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    your numbers are certainly poor and I'm not trying to throw a jab here just hoping you realize that you could be lifting more. I'm 165cm and weighed 65kg when I started SS, now I weigh 75kg and I don't look fat at all. I don't understand much about macros and stuff and looking at those online calculators makes me think I'm trying to study for a test. But if you have the ability to prepare all your meals this is what I do. I eat 4x a day and I eat the same stuff every day. I just weigh my food and try to eat healthy, including green vegetables, carbs, fats and protein (protein and fats with every meal). What I do is if I'm starting to lose weight, I just increase the fats, right now I'm swallowing 17 grams of olive oil with every meal (I started out with 5 grams), this is besides other healthy fats I take in. If I'm gaining too much weigh than I just cut some of the fats. It's very easy for me doing it this way. Make sure to include different types of protein and fats.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    AT 170 cm you should weigh at least 85 kilos to look good. Doesn't really matter if it's muscle or fat. I understand that parkour may require a lower body weight, but anything under 75 kilos is not good for just so many reasons. You are probably not depressed, but severely malnoursihed. The only reason I can see for you weighing 60 kilos is anorexia or a serious addiction to amphetamines. The latter is easier to cure than the former.
    Well, I have visited the hospital and done blood tests, ECG, etc. to rule out any other causes. The results came back fine. There is nothing physically wrong with me. Further, I know exactly WHY I feel depressed, but it's personal, but I do not have the power to change the circumstances I'm in at the moment. My BMI is normal (20.8) so I'm definitely not malnourished that is taking it too far I think.

Secondly, I don't care about ''looking good'' - I care about being proficient in Parkour, and increased strength will improve my jumping ability, and to get the strength I need to gain weight, but weight gain is no goal in itself for me. I have no interest in aesthetics neither in the gym nor in Parkour. I'm interested in efficiency and simplicity. This is why I choose starting strength in the first place.

Anyways, thanks, everybody.

I made further changes in my diet. I also now use a protein powder that gives 56+ grams of protein per day and an extra 1 100 calories. I have already seen results. On Friday I broke my PR: 80kg squat 5x3. Not one rep missed and only full squats. Monday; 81,25 and today 82,5. Now I just need this progression to continue.

Hello again, the progression continues slowly. Did the usual fives two days ago with 92.5kg.

What do you guys think would be an adequate goal to aim at considering my age (31) and height (170cm) before leaving linear progression behind? Maybe squatting 5x5 130 kg and deadlifting 5x5 ~150kg?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyper View Post
    Hello again, the progression continues slowly. Did the usual fives two days ago with 92.5kg.

What do you guys think would be an adequate goal to aim at considering my age (31) and height (170cm) before leaving linear progression behind? Maybe squatting 5x5 130 kg and deadlifting 5x5 ~150kg?
    Linear progression ends when you can't increase the weight every session--while being careful to do the program properly so that the linear progression is not ended prematurely. For example, squats are 3x5, not five sets, and deadlift is one set of five. More information can be found in the book!

Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company

Good work.
    Zoom out far enough and all progression is linear. It should never stop. Don't put an arbitrary number on it, you've had some good advice just stick to it. Change happen both fast and slow. I'm looking forward to hearing about how you perform over the next 20-30 years of training.

Just push it as far as it will go. You will know when you get to the end, but it is further along than you think.

You need to eat more. MUCH more.

Stuck again!

Squat: 102kg for 5 reps
    Deadlift: 130kg for 5 reps

I have to deload now! Been stuck for about two weeks! Last week I even got stuck on the deadlift for the first time.

I eat like crazy. I get an extra 1 650 calories a day from only protein powder. I got myself a scale at home now, and atm my weight is at 73kg. So I have put on 13kg since i started this topic.

My lower back is also feeling sore most of the time especially after deadlift which I do once a week.

I eat like crazy. I get an extra 1 650 calories a day from only protein powder. I got myself a scale at home now, and atm my weight is at 73kg. So I have put on 13kg since i started this
    Assuming that you are using Whey Concentate 1650kcal is more than 320g of protein. Assuming that the powder is not the only source of protein in your diet it seems a bit much. It is not like such amount of protein is harmful in any way but most likely more than 250g of protein a day (or 1g per pound of body mass) is not going to be too beneficial. Spending those extra calories for carbs seems to be a better idea.

Take a look here: Protein and Barbell Training | Robert Santana

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Assuming that you are using Whey Concentate 1650kcal is more than 320g of protein. Assuming that the powder is not the only source of protein in your diet it seems a bit much. It is not like such amount of protein is harmful in any way but most likely more than 250g of protein a day (or 1g per pound of body mass) is not going to be too beneficial. Spending those extra calories for carbs seems to be a better idea.

Take a look here: Protein and Barbell Training | Robert Santana
    6 scoops of this particular protein powder consist of 1650 calories and 85g protein. All in all, including breakfast, lunch, dinner (and my daily 1 liter milk) my daily proteinintake is just over 210g. I eat plenty of rice and spaghetti, and müsli & a double sandwich in the morning, but maybe I should go for more carbs. I sleep at minimum 8 hours. Maybe I should add more fats,
    by for example adding some olive oil to every meal?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast