starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I move on?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You might want to start adding some steak into your diet if possible. Look at the podcast with Stan Efferding. There is some absolutely amazing knowledge in there that really helps with training. One thing he recommends is adding more steak and also a fish oil pill may help you because it increases the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids in your system which is incredibly important for recovery.

Thank you for the tip! Im already using omega 3 though! 👍😊

Thing is i'm stuck again after the deload and with lower back fatigue. Last session was bad; 220lbs x 5, and I couldn't get get proper depth this time. Deadlift still sits at 285x5, but even after deload, my lower back cant take it. Even though i deadlift only once a week. Feeling constant fatigue.

My bodyweight has gone up to 163lbs from 132. I know someone with the same weight as me who can squat well over 500lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyper View Post
    6 scoops of this particular protein powder consist of 1650 calories and 85g protein.
    That is not protein powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    I'll change to whey then (the brand I buy contains 76g protein per 100g). The old powder did help me with increasing the weight.

I recorded my squat. At weight at 100 or over the bar path was incorrect. Bar was not in line with the middle foot. Neither did the bar move straight up from the hole. This probably the cause of my lower back fatigue. It probably happens because I'm not strong enough, and I'm probably not strong enough due to lack of protein like Rip says.

Things is, I want to get back to my sport. I'm doing strength training for sport performance (jumping power). Not sure if its worth to move on to Heavy Light Medium or to continue linear progression. My back issues might be fixed if I lower the weight to 209lbs/95kg and then work up to 220lbs/100kg where form my issues begin while simultaneously increasing my protein intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    ...could have other caloric "stuff" in the mix besides just pure whey

Quote Originally Posted by Cyper View Post
    Not sure if its worth to move on to Heavy Light Medium or to continue linear progression.
    According to PP, you end SS or whatever novice lifting program when you no longer recover within 48 hours and cannot make progress every workout. Even if you do everything correctly (eating, progressing rep or weight variation), which I admit I struggled with cause I'm stupid, you will hit a time when you cannot make progress. SSBBT has contingency plans on breaking a few sticking points, you can exhaust those.

As for what program to move onto, since your worried about power, it will depend on your exercise selection. Every intermediate program has an explosive variation, I'd say go for the Nebraska Model on page 156 of PP. It has days dedicated to olympic movements while still training strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thank you. I borrowed your book from the library again. The master cue fixed the problem. I'll deload the squat weight a bit and try again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LuzTheBuz View Post
    According to PP, you end SS or whatever novice lifting program when you no longer recover within 48 hours and cannot make progress every workout. Even if you do everything correctly (eating, progressing rep or weight variation), which I admit I struggled with cause I'm stupid, you will hit a time when you cannot make progress. SSBBT has contingency plans on breaking a few sticking points, you can exhaust those.

As for what program to move onto, since your worried about power, it will depend on your exercise selection. Every intermediate program has an explosive variation, I'd say go for the Nebraska Model on page 156 of PP. It has days dedicated to olympic movements while still training strength.
    I think I am doing something wrong. Rips suggestion of higher protein intake might just fix it. But i'll keep the Nebraska model in mind.

@Rip

My current mealplan gives me 260g protein per day and 3 853 calories. Protein is enough now. But what about calories? I am aware 4000 - 6000cal is recommended - but considering my situation: with a current weight of 75kg/165lb I have increased my weight with 15kg/33lbs since I started. My waistline is 97cm/ 37.40inches. I got a bit of a belly know lol. What do you suggest as caloric intake? Do I need to gain more weight?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast