starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I move on?

Red face Should I move on?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started starting strength in June this year. I'm a 31-year-old male, 170cm, weight 60kg (no idea what my weight is now though!). I started doing squats at 35kg. It is now at 80kgx5, so I guess 1RM is ~90kg. For deadlift, I started with 65kg and it's now up at 110kg so 1RM should be about 120kg. I am not 100% happy with my results, but I guess depression and financial problems are taking their toll on me. I use medicine when needed to ensure I can sleep well and recover properly. Indeed training helps me feel better and I refuse to give up.

For breakfast, I eat 1dl porridge with milk, jam, and dried apricots, plus a double sandwich with butter, cheese, and peanut butter. Plus a glass of juice and a protein drink (46g protein). Lunch is like meat sauce & spaghetti and another protein drink (46g). For dinner ex. chicken and rice. In total eat about a kilo of chicken every week. In the evening just porridge with milk.

I stalled first at 75kg for squat, then 80. But never stalled once for deadlifts. I expect to stall with squats soon. During August, I've added 1.25kg twice a week to the squat. I'm thinking about moving to the Heavy Light Medium program, but I am not sure if it is too early or not. Once I have passed the novice phase (which I am not sure if I have?) my goal is primarily to aim for power, since I've been training Parkour for ten years but been out for three due to depression. I thought that strength training might give me a boost.

So, should I continue to push with starting strength? How bad are these results on a scale of 1-10? What can I improve?

And, once the novice phase is over for me, is HLM appropriate for Parkour? 🤔 Sooner or later I want to implement Parkour as part of my training, because right now I am only lifting weights so I do not interrupt the program!

You're not eating enough protein. Check your testosterone levels.

Designed a simple meal plan.

Will a daily intake of 3 069cal & 293,6g protein do for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyper View Post
    Will a daily intake of 3 069cal & 293,6g protein do for me?
    Quick answer is no. "A good starting place is . . . 3500-6000 calories . . ." (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 308).

If in June you weighed 60kg, you have a ways to go, but you're on the right track--good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Quick answer is no. "A good starting place is . . . 3500-6000 calories . . ." (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 308).

If in June you weighed 60kg, you have a ways to go, but you're on the right track--good luck!
    Do you have any suggestions on cheap ways to increase calorie & intake protein intake? 🤔 Checking through the nutrition forums but there is a lot there. Two ways I use now is to drink three protein drinks daily which gives me a boost of 142,5 grams of protein. I also mixed & fried 1dl of double cream and 2 eggs this morning and will continue to do so. And I replaced porridge with muesli.

I have read the book, but for some reason, my brain insists on overestimating my eating habits. I have experience with hard training, but hard eating not so much! 😅Apologize for asking questions that probably have been asked a millions of times before..

Quote Originally Posted by Cyper View Post
    Do you have any suggestions on cheap ways to increase calorie & intake protein intake? �� Checking through the nutrition forums but there is a lot there. . . . I have read the book, but for some reason, my brain insists on overestimating my eating habits. . . . ��Apologize for asking questions that probably have been asked a millions of times before..
    Take a look at the Nutrition FAQs:

FAQ Nutrition

Quick answer is from the same page of the book: Gallon Of Milk A Day, commonly known as "GOMAD" (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 308).

Here's Coach Santana on the topic:

Gallon of Milk a Day - When and Why | Robert Santana

You're just gonna have to eat more. I had to look it up but a dl is less than half a cup. That will never do. Double or triple that. Two eggs? That's not even a snack - six eggs is better. Exchange the chicken for red meat but not a kilo a week, half a kilo a day. See what I'm saying? Good luck man!

I'm inferring from your writing that you're not in the US, so I'm not really sure if what's cheap here is cheap where you are, but eggs, ground beef, and whole milk are relatively cheap and consumable sources of protein. GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) may be a bit much, but maybe try half gallon a day (in addition to your normal diet) and a half dozen or so extra eggs per day. A pound of ground beef is also pretty easy to get down once a day as well.

Milk is definitely a good option if you're able to drink it. I found I got adjusted to drinking a lot of it pretty okay. A 16 ounce glass will help you get down bigger portions of it. Drink two full 16 ounce glasses of it and you've basically got the macronutrient content of a decent meal, and liquid nutrients are much less filling.

starting strength coach development program
    AT 170 cm you should weigh at least 85 kilos to look good. Doesn't really matter if it's muscle or fat. I understand that parkour may require a lower body weight, but anything under 75 kilos is not good for just so many reasons. You are probably not depressed, but severely malnoursihed. The only reason I can see for you weighing 60 kilos is anorexia or a serious addiction to amphetamines. The latter is easier to cure than the former.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast