starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to add in conditioning

Default How to add in conditioning

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello , I'm a 34, year old, male trainee; I weigh 173 and I am 164 cm tall; my best lifts are:
    - squat 5x1 355
    - deadlift 1x3 360
    - bench 3x2 222
    - press 5x1 150

my current program is:
    Monday:
    - squat 5RM
    - press 5x5 80%
    - weighted chins 3x5

Wednesday:
    - press 5x1
    - squat 4x5
    - triceps extensions 3x5-8

Friday:
    - deadlift 5RM
    - close grip bench 5RM
    - close grip bench 3x5 80%
    - chins 3x10

I've read Nick's article on conditioning, and form what I understood, you do NLP without conditioning, and when you enter intermediate programming you chose a sport and you get enough conditioning by practicing the sport; and only if you get really advanced in your sport, then there is a need for a more specialized and individual programming for conditioning;

My question is, if you don't want to practice any sport, but still want to ad in some conditioning, how do you do that, and when do you do it
    I have no access to a prowler or a rower, I only have access to a elliptical, or bodyweight activities like running, jump rope, etc
    I was thinking of elliptical would be the better option because you can make it harder by increasing the level of friction, and you can't do that with bodyweight stuff
    Also, when is it preferable to do conditioning?; I was thinking of doing it on my offdays, but I think it kind of interferes with recovery for the next day of strength training, so maybe do the conditioning on the same day as strength but as far apart from the strength training as you can, and do your strength training first and conditioning later in that day?; what is preferable here?

Thank you!

For what purpose do you wish to "add conditioning" if you're not going to be engaging in a sport?

I also see problems with this programming.

You seem to be at a very light weight for your height. Have you run NLP?

Because I'm really out of shape from an aerobic stand point, I've been doing just strength training for 2 years now; I get out of breath to fast when I do any activity that involves the aerobic energy system, and I want to be able to do those activities without that happening;

About the programming, I know its not the best program but I've had the best progression with it; I tried the 4 day split for intermediates, but I just felt beat up all the time, I got frequent colds, stomach upsets, etc; it was just to much for me; I am currently reading the gray book right now, and I am reading on the intermediary programming, I'll see what I can learn and make a 3 day program that is more appropriate; I don't care about the bench press that much, I would like to add it more of an assistance exercise, I care about the press, squat, deadlift, powerclean and powersnach to be frank;

I was thinking of:
    Monday:
    Squat 5Rm
    Powerclean 5x3
    Pin press 3x2

Wednesday:
    Press 5x1
    Squat 4x5
    Powersnach 3-5x3

Friday:
    Deadlift 5RM
    Press 5x5
    Chins 3x10 or 5x5 weighted

I don't see a spot were I could add in close grip bench
    My goal is to sit around 165-175 lbs, so I don't want to add any more muscle mass
    I just want to get a 375 squat, 405 deadlift, and bodyweight press, and 'm good with that, and just do maintenance and start BJJ and MMA practice after that

Thanks!
    What do you think about this program, and were could I add the close grip bench; if there is no spot for it I'm ok with that to, as I've said I don't really care about the bench press that much

Light weight for my height???; I am 164 cm that is 5 feet and 3 inches, I have a 39 inch waist line, I am fat actually right now at this bodyweight; I want to decrease my bodyweight a bit, lose the belly and get back to 165-175 and stay there
    Unfortunately I didn't know of SS when I started training, so I did a lot of stupid shit before learning about SS, and when I did, I was no longer a novice, and I went directly for an intermediate program

My goal is a 375 squat, a 405 deadlift, and a bodyweight press; and then maintenance and start to practice BJJ and MMA

Thanks for the reply though!

Is the pin press an overhead pin press or a bench press pin press? At any rate, you don't seem to be too eager to add close grips and don't really care about them - you don't have to have a bench press or variant if you don't want to.

Have you considered riding a bicycle? Infinite amounts of fun and 30 minutes goes by like *that*.

I would put bench and deadlift on Wednesday and your second squat/press day on Friday. You can do conditioning immediately after your pulls on Wednesday, or on Saturday, or both.

starting strength coach development program
    Or you could just read the fucking book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast