starting strength gym

Thread: Changing programming to accommodate a new job

Default Changing programming to accommodate a new job

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just started a new job this week and my first day of lifting after it's begun I've noticed a definite performance decrease very suddenly. At the new job I'm on my feet 8 hours (and in a mask) with only a half hour lunch break. I'd been successfully running out a 4 day texas method split on most of my lifts up until now. I am thinking next week I will switch them to a 4 day heavy/light scheme instead. Is this a smart move to accommodate the recovery demands of the new job? Just wanted to check in with some people with more experience.

You may get used to the new routine... Maybe do heavy/light for 1-2 weeks and try to go back to the previous split to see what happens. Increased calories may come in handy too.

I think you will get acclimated to the extra physical stress in a week or two, so I wouldn't make permanent programming changes unless you're actually reaching a point where you would need to change anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconquistaBarbell View Post
    You may get used to the new routine... Maybe do heavy/light for 1-2 weeks and try to go back to the previous split to see what happens. Increased calories may come in handy too.
    I already started going after increased caloric intake in anticipation of the job's additional energy needs. I think I may also need to look into more water. I get pretty thirsty by the end of the shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I think you will get acclimated to the extra physical stress in a week or two, so I wouldn't make permanent programming changes unless you're actually reaching a point where you would need to change anyway.
    I had been running out intensity sessions at individual paces for each lift. Press just recently switched to singles, bench has been triples for some time, and deadlift just transitioned to a triple recently. Squats are a different story, largely due to having had to rehab my left knee with box squats recently. My plan has been to run out each lift at a rate that they allow, and then re-asses after that what to do next. I've been eyeballing a heavy/light program as a possibility in that event too. I'm still under 40, but getting close, and I got started with this stuff at 35 or so. Part of me wants to push on the hard stuff, but part of me wonders if maybe I need to be realistic and give myself some slack with a program that utilizes lighter recovery workouts.

To echo what the others have said, you'll probably get used to the added stress within a couple weeks, BUT if you're already nearing the end of the Texas Method type progression, it probably makes sense to go ahead and switch.

Well, if the stress is going to take a few weeks to adjust to, I'd like to be able to train in the meantime without getting a bunch of failed sets. I think I'm going to make the heavy/light switch, at least for now. I'm going to organize the heavy days as kind of a hybrid of both the volume and intensity workouts of texas method programming. Top sets will be the intensity set, followed by back offs for volume.

starting strength coach development program
    I went to the 4-day heavy/light after NLP and it has been a welcome change. Instead of back-off sets on intensity days, I’ve worked in assistance lifts from the blue book (chins, dips, back extensions, rows). Through three weeks, lifts are still going up, so that has been enough stress for me thus far.