starting strength gym

Thread: Moving to power clean phase of LP with weak deadlift?

Question Moving to power clean phase of LP with weak deadlift?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good day everyone, I am a beginner who has been doing LP for 11 weeks now. During this time I have been doing Phase I of LP - the one with only the squat, deadlift, press and bench press. I want to move on to the second phase of LP now and introduce the power clean. However, I wanted to ask a question about the deadlift.

Namely, in Starting Strength Rip says that the deadlift should be ahead of the squat by the time Phase I is over. However, for me the squat and the deadlift are still equal. Of course moving to phase II would mean replacing every second deadlift with the power clean, thus slowing down the amount it grows each week. I wanted to ask if I should:

1.) Add the power clean and let the deadlift fall behind the squat
    2.) Add the power clean and add more weight on the deadlift each time (i.e. 5 kg instead of 2,5 kg)
    3.) Not add the power clean and do Phase I until my deadlift is established ahead of the squat like Rip says it should

Also just for details, my squat and deadlift are still relatively light - they're at around 102.5 kg now and they both started at 40 kg 11 weeks ago.

You started your dead AND squat at the same weight? Why? That's not how you do the program. Read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You started your dead AND squat at the same weight? Why? That's not how you do the program. Read the book.
    Sorry coach, I just set the starting weights based on the highest weights I could do without the form being compromised. Reflecting back I was slow in getting the form correct at the start, especially on the deadlift. It is likely that this made me pick a deadlift weight that was too low. I am sorry for the mistake and will try to read the book and do the program correctly.