Doing Texas Method a second time Doing Texas Method a second time

starting strength gym

Thread: Doing Texas Method a second time

Default Doing Texas Method a second time

• starting strength seminar february 2022
    • starting strength seminar april 2022
    • starting strength seminar june 2022
    Hi all,

Iím currently doing the Texas Method and itís going pretty well, so I plan to redo it once finished instead of changing programs.

I have a question though that I couldnít find in Practical Programming. How do I go about determining the weight to use as the new starting point?

Should I use my old 5RM PR as the intensity day weight and adjust the volume day accordingly? Shouldn't I use a higher weight since I became stronger at the end of the program?

I don't understand. TM goes up in intensity/tonnage every week, so how do you "finish" the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't understand. TM goes up in intensity/tonnage every week, so how do you "finish" the program?
    Hello Mark,

What I meant by “finishing the program” is that at some point I won’t be able to keep increasing the weight on intensity day. I would go from 1x5 to 2x3 to 3x2 to 5x1 until I won’t be able to complete the 5 singles. At that point I would restart the program by going back to an intensity day of 1x5. I was wondering what weight I should use for that new 1x5.

You have PPST 3rd edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have PPST 3rd edition?
    Yes, I recently purchased it.

"Purchased" and "read" are two different things. The answer to your questions are in that book.

starting strength coach development program
    On page 122 of PPST 3rd edition it says "At this point, the lifter might start the cycle over with a set of 5 on intensity day that reflects his new 1RM and maintains the volume-day load."

I don't understand the part "and maintains the volume-day load". Does that mean that I should not deload the volume day when restarting the program?