starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continue LP?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Just upload a video of your squat. Maybe your technique is fatal and it is hindering your progress.
    270x5 squat set 2 - YouTube

Not the best angle, but the light day seemed to help, hit 270 (65lb SSB) today. Better video on Monday.

Additional context, I've had bruising above both knee caps that hurts to the touch, only way I can get through a set of squats is to shove my ass back and have as little forward movement in the knees as possible. Lighting doesn't capture the bruising well, but I circled the location. I'm guessing it is some sort of tendonitis.

Whether I want to admit it, I'm sure the pain is a limiting factor in my squat progression.

I'm currently running the chin up protocol for bicep tendonitis in the shoulder, any suggestions for this issue?

Photo: Shared album - Robert Miller - Google Photos

The safety squat bar produces such a vertical back angle that you cannot stay out of your knees. They are going to hurt until you start squatting correctly, with the correct bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The safety squat bar produces such a vertical back angle that you cannot stay out of your knees. They are going to hurt until you start squatting correctly, with the correct bar.
    I started with the LBBS, and worked it up to close to where I am now (245 I believe), the knee/hip mechanics definitely felt better, but after working on shoulder mobility for months, I have yet to be able to squat low bar with any kind of weight without absolutely destroying my shoulders (even just getting into position without unracking the bar is hell, and fires up the shoulders for a couple hours).

Eventually that sidelined pressing movements for a week, so I decided SSB is better than no squat/no press.

Or in your opinion is it worth taking a break on pressing movements for a bit to see if I can get the low-bar position to work without fucking my shoulder up (I think it's a bone spur, but could be something else)?

Have you been coached in-person?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you been coached in-person?
    I am currently with a local trainer, good guy and somewhat familiar with SS, but not a SSC.

I'm 1.5 hrs from Orlando, and they aren't open yet when I inquired a little bit ago, but would love to get some one-time coaching when that opens up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12