starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continue LP?

Default Continue LP?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been pushing the LP since early April when I started training in earnest for the first time, but I feel like I am on the edge of burnout and injury.

Press/Bench/Deadlift are still going up every almost every session (2.5lbs for press/bench, 5lbs for deadlift) but my shoulders are beginning to give, and the squat is almost stalled.

Do I keep pushing on the bleeding edge of progression, or is it best to switch from the LP to the Texas Method or equivalent? Also, why would my squat be lagging when everything else is going up for 5 months straight?

Stats and progression below for context.

Male
    30yo, 6'1" 245lbs (up from 195 in April).
    ~3,500-4,500+ calories daily
    Bench - 262.5 lb 3x5 (155 in April)
    Press - 200lbs 3x5 (135 in April)
    Deadlift 410 1x5 (285 in April, but dropped back to 315 and started LP over to correct for rounded back I didn't know I had until late May)
    Squat 260 3x5 (135 in April)

I did switch to a SSB in June to save my shoulders that laid me off for a week, maybe that is it?

What's the story with the squat?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller1991 View Post
    Also, why would my squat be lagging when everything else is going up for 5 months straight?
    Going to need to see video to understand why you might have a 260lb. squat--seems anomalous.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What's the story with the squat?
    My best guess is long legs, bad knees, and having to take a few breaks due to shoulder issues and a mild knee injury a few months back.

Also, it started at the same place my OHP started (135lbs) which doesn't help, but that doesn't explain why my weakest lift is stalling, and the other 3 are still going up (especially Press/Bench).

200 lb press and 260 lb squat ???? Keep the squat on LP programming and get it to 400...

My best guess is long legs, bad knees, and having to take a few breaks due to shoulder issues and a mild knee injury a few months back.

Also, it started at the same place my OHP started (135lbs) which doesn't help, but that doesn't explain why my weakest lift is stalling, and the other 3 are still going up (especially Press/Bench).
    My best guess is that you didn't actually read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My best guess is that you didn't actually read the book.
    (Chapter 2, under "Learning to Squat" in the kindle Edition) "Go up in weight, practicing good form . . . and depth, until you can tell that the next jump up would alter your form. Then do two more sets at the current weight . . . and that is the first squat workout."

I did read it, did I miss anything as far as where to start weight-wise?

So your testimony is that 135 was that weight for both you first-day press and squat? I have trouble believing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So your testimony is that 135 was that weight for both you first-day press and squat? I have trouble believing this.
    That is correct. My previous work history up until recently involved very shoulder intensive and back intensive work (years of farm/ranch work, mile on miles of driving t-posts in rocky soil with a 75+ lb homemade driver, digging post holes, throwing bales of hay over head etc) in case that makes it more believable, not that it changes anything whether you believe it or not.

Add to that knee pain since 15 and bending over to lift anything up instead of squatting down and that probably explains the beginning difference between deadlift and squat.

Either way, where I began isn't what I am seeking help for, it is suggestions as to why every other lift is going up and going up well, but the squat is not. I dropped down to 245 last night for 3x5 after my deadlift and will see if that affects how my next jump feels on Friday/Saturday.

starting strength coach development program
    (Chapter 2, under "Learning to Squat" in the kindle Edition) "Go up in weight, practicing good form . . . and depth, until you can tell that the next jump up would alter your form. Then do two more sets at the current weight . . . and that is the first squat workout."

I did read it, did I miss anything as far as where to start weight-wise?
    Just upload a video of your squat. Maybe your technique is fatal and it is hindering your progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast