starting strength gym

Thread: What’s the opinion on this accessory

Default What’s the opinion on this accessory

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This popped up in my YT feed. Another ‘novel’ movement is my first thought as it can never be incrementally loaded. I’m not sure it’s even very good for the shoulder. Why not just press, lateral raise, or clean ?

WHY Lu Xiaojun's "Lu Raises" are Genius for Weightlifting - YouTube

It's a dumbbell flye with plates. In their training hall they don't have dumbbells, so he's using plates to warm his shoulders up. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's a dumbbell flye with plates. In their training hall they don't have dumbbells, so he's using plates to warm his shoulders up. That is all.
    I’ve seen them doing that in our gym. Must be the latest fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I’ve seen them doing that in our gym. Must be the latest fad.
    Every time someone sees a big lifter warming up by doing some movements with plates in his hands they think it's an actual exercise and start training it. I've seen videos where said lifters even joke about this phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Every time someone sees a big lifter warming up by doing some movements with plates in his hands they think it's an actual exercise and start training it. I've seen videos where said lifters even joke about this phenomenon.
    Our gyms devolved into fancy coloured mood lighting, shiny chrome plated bars and no centre knurl. It’s like heading into a night club. I don’t know if I should start lifting or pole dance.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Our gyms devolved into fancy coloured mood lighting, shiny chrome plated bars and no centre knurl. It’s like heading into a night club. I don’t know if I should start lifting or pole dance.
    I've never been big on center knurls. Hold onto the bar in the squat just fine without one. At my gym the ones with center knurls are actually all fucked in how they're laid out. The edges of the knurls and the ring markings are all fucking wrong.