starting strength gym

Thread: 5 Mile Run…PT Test…

Default 5 Mile Run…PT Test…

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    TLDR: 5mi run coming up in one week, to get to take the French Desert Commando Course.
    I’ve been on NLP for 2 months, haven’t been running at all, so I need help with conditioning.

Long version:
    38 yr old male, currently on deployment in the Army. I’m almost 2 months into NLP. I’ve been pretty physically weak my whole life, changing that now with NLP.

I just found out a few slots are available for the French Desert Commando Course, which is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity. The PT test is in 7 days. Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, & 5mi run in boots.

The run is my concern, I’ve been doing zero running to maximize my strength gains.

So I need help programming some running conditioning. Do I stop all lifting? Do I keep lifting the same weight & volume & add running?

Although this is a strength forum, I trust the Starting Strength community far more than all the other bullshit out there.

Thanks in advance!

NLP Start: 6 Aug 2021
    Weight: 185
    DL:200 SQ:135 BP:135 PR:95 (all work sets across)

Current: 28 Sep 2021
    Weight: 198
    DL:275 SQ:230 BP:220 PR:125 (all work sets across)

You waited till a week out to ask this? Run 3 miles tomorrow in your boots, stop if you start to get a blister, rest until the test.

I just found out about it yesterday. I was planning to do strictly NLP through the end of the deployment.

Love this article btw:

Why Does The Army Want Me Weak? | Ryan Long

Purchase body glide and apply to your foot, heel and inside midfoot and ball of foot. Get good socks. These will help with blisters.