starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accidentally reduced deadlift frequency too early

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'd also add that if you want to show your sincere intentions, you should put your real name on your username and get verified.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    Dont take the numbers in the books like a template where you should be. This is not representative for all lifters, and we all need to program differently.
    If we all program the NLP differently, we are what? That’s right, we are not doing the program. I’m the first guy who didn’t do the program, got great results and my only advice to anyone would be to do the program. In fact, suggesting that someone not do the program is the first clue that you are dealing with someone who just doesn’t know what the fuck he is talking about.

Thank you all for the advice, I reset my squat to 120kg from 150 and will work back up over the next few weeks focussing on my form. My arm pain has finally vanished with some good form and a slight break (got sick) but I think things are moving in a good direction now, here is some programming:

Wednesday
    Squat 120 555
    Press 58.5 555
    Row 77.5 555 no longer doing these

Friday - Too sick to train.

Monday:
    Squat 125 555
    Bench 82.5 555
    Deadlift 165 5

Bw 90.1kg

Wednesday
    Squat 130 555
    Press 60 555
    Power clean 40 33333

In a few weeks I should be in a position to transition over to the back extension and chin ups phase again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    If we all program the NLP differently, we are what? That’s right, we are not doing the program. I’m the first guy who didn’t do the program, got great results and my only advice to anyone would be to do the program. In fact, suggesting that someone not do the program is the first clue that you are dealing with someone who just doesn’t know what the fuck he is talking about.
    I think his point was more that if the template in the book says "Week 22: squats 405x5x3" that doesn't necessarily mean that you should be squatting 405 for 3x5 at the end of your LP.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Åsali — good to see you engaging on these posts. Don't sweat the mistakes and feedback, just learn from them. I know that I've passed on some questionable advice to you and others. The only thing we can do is learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    For me, it may seem crazy but my local gym does not allow anything that looks like you are going to drop weights, and they are checking every 30 minutes if anybody lifts heavy deads, or using chalk.
    This resulted for me to just train at home. Im almost there where I can do very lift (about doing some welding outside for a power rack project), but still I don't have the space or possibility to do cleans other
    than outside in the summer. I may consider doing them in the future, if I found ways to do them, but as mentioned in the beginning of this thread, he said himself he struggled with resetting weights and his technique.
    As far as having space for power cleans, if you have room for a power rack, you have room for power cleans. That is, assuming that your rack is sufficiently deep. Mine is 76.2cm between the uprights, front to back, up against a wall, and there's sufficient space for me to clean if I need to (e.g., when my wife's car is parked right up against the front of my platform). Just make sure that your bar ends are clear on both sides and get to it.

Keep at it!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I'm not disparaging your intentions, but good intentions can lead to bad outcomes. Friendly or not, bad advice is bad advice.

The problem with a blanket statement like "you don't need to do power cleans" without having an actual discussion with the person about it in real time is that you're supporting their belief that power cleans are not important even if that's not what you meant to imply. Ambivalent lurkers - who you don't get to talk to in an actual conversation - will read it and this will further support the side of them that doesn't want to do power cleans.

No one NEEDS to do power cleans, just like no one NEEDS to squat, but for the vast majority of people, their lives will be better if they choose to do so.

You'll find that we're a pedantic ground here. If your explanations are not precise and accurate, I'm going to say something. That doesn't mean I hate you or want you to leave. I just want to make sure the information people are receiving is accurate. I expect anyone else who thinks I'm wrong to do the same to me.
    Hi Andrew, and thank you for your update on my comment.

I guess we do all agree that communication can be difficult in a forum, and that a forum has its pos/neg regarding this matter.
    Especially for me, who lives in northern Norway, I guess i never meet someone at this forum to have an actual conversation.

No hard feelings, guess I just got a bit upset- too early. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I think his point was more that if the template in the book says "Week 22: squats 405x5x3" that doesn't necessarily mean that you should be squatting 405 for 3x5 at the end of your LP.
    Exactly, thank you!

It kinda reminds me of the discussion on the "Rip is so wrong" on different youtube channels, where they take the "technique doesnt matter" out of context. We all should pay attention of what is exactly been said, and thats no different in this forum.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    This is not what I said Jovan, and please read my comments again.
    I didnt say anything about doing the program or not, I just said that we shouldnt read the book and think we all should be able to lift the weights in the example of progression as listed on page 90-92 in the grey book.

I think we both agree on most of the things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12