starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 x 3 to extend NLP program question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    My question is if it's not from the blue book, where did I pick it up from? I know it's mentioned plenty of times on the forum for various reasons. Is it just one of those silly things people say that I've picked up? or is it a "proper" technique to extend the NLP?

Is it a worthwhile technique to continue or should I go back to 3 x 5 and utilise micro loading as the only extension technique?
    Hi Subby!

Good work on your lifts in kilos! I must admit I was scratching my head a bit at first, thinking about your results in lbs, haha

For your question, 5 sets of 3reps is mentioned several places, and if its not in the blue book, its definitely in the grey book called Practical programming. Its often mention as SSPP on the forum.
    If you don't have it, you really need it, trust me! Its so great written, and it answers so many questions, even those you didn't ask about, or thought about! I would also recommend the 3rd book,
    its about lifting after 40. I know you are in your 30`s, so am I, but it really gives a good read and knowledge, and I think all those 3 books are kinda overlapping eachother in a good way.
    For what its worth, I don't think you should use the 5 sets of 3, since its normally some modification for women and older athletes, as stated by Andrew previously.

The grey book has several options and tips for the late novice, and I can mention a few, but you have to promise me to just buy the grey book, its really a new world.

You can introduce a light day, for example a light Wednesday. Here you will lift maybe 80% of Mondays workout, perhaps only two sets. Its great for squats, especially for me.

You can use the "one on, two off" and it means training Monday, but resting two days, so your next workout is on Thursday. Then again you have 2 rest days, and then Sunday will be you next workout. This is also working great
    on the squat for me.

But again, buy the grey book

I would say no to using micro loading as the only extension technique. I should also mention, that Im not a coach. Im a male, 35 years, 5'9" and 200lbs, but some of my numbers are similar to yours.

As Rippetoe said, read the articles he listed. I guess one of them is about gaining some weight. I can tell you I hated that comment for a long time, just to realize its so true. Back in the spring, I was 76kg and hurting.
    I was semi-strong on the NLP, but boy oh boy!, it helps being 90kg (200lbs). You are a bit taller than me, but lighter. I know it can be scary to just gain weight, but just test it out. They really know what they are talking about here

You should also treat each lift separately. If your bench and press are near the end of NLP, you shouldn't take every lift into intermediate. The squat and deadlift may continue on the NLP for some time. I don't say that you struggle the most on the bench and press, but probably? The NLP is not a "benchpress program" or "press program". Its a general strength program, and it does it good and fast. Your bench and press is the lifts that needs microloading, and its maybe the lifts that will stall first. You then need more work, and I suggest you check Nick Delgadillos video on YT for the press and bench programming. He also have good articles on this website. For me, I went to a kinda "compressed Texas Method" when my bench and press stalled. But again, check out Nicks articles and videos on YouTube.

Th squat and deadlift will normally need the 5lbs jump (2,5kg), and I have learned here that its not useful to microload those lifts. I think its because adding 1kg on your already 180kg deadlift, its not much of a stress, you see?

To sum it all up:

Im not a strength coach, just friendly advises
    Eat and live good, try going to 200lbs, you will eventually love it, haha
    Read, read more and then some. Start with some free articles here on the webpage.
    Buy the grey book ( I have both a kindle version and the paperback version, get the paperback version!)
    Treat every lift separately.
    Buy the grey book.
    and...

Buy the grey book!

You are doing fine, and you will love to continue this journey, with help from the grey book and the rest of the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I did, I'm probably resting too long between sets at 5 or so mins.
    You didn't read the articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You didn't read the articles.
    The 5 or so rest was for the sets of 3.

I assume for sets of 5, as I'll do tonight, just rest as long as I need too?

Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    But again, buy the grey book
    Ordered it a couple of weeks ago.

better read the articles, again,

I've found that additional rest never hurts the next set, with the exception of the Press. On a bad squat day I take 20 minutes before the last set and drag through it. However if I rest too long between heavy presses, the lights go out during the set.

If I rest too long in the squat, my shoulders and elbows get cold and I can't get under the bar right. That's at like minute twelve.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    That makes sense Andrew. I do old javelin shoulder flexibility movements between sets so that's probably why I don't tighten up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12