starting strength gym

Thread: Training around mystery pain

Default Training around mystery pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After 2+ years of being sedentary, I restarted SS novice LP. I'm 6'5" weigh perhaps 260lbs. I've had two formal SS coaching sessions with Heather Glover in Camden, TN (2018) and Phil Meggers in Omaha (two weeks ago). In 6 weeks of training my squat is 305 and settled down to 5lbs progressions.

I'm having only what I can describe as bilateral nerve pain(deep, dull, achey) from my shoulders to elbows on my outer arms after squatting; the only lift it really bothers me after. It seems to only show up after getting above 225. Recently, so bad I had to come back to my last two workouts at the end of the day after the pain subsided. I've tried all kinds of subtle changes to my squat grip, but I JUST had two coaches work with me.

I'm not interested in seeing a doc about this YET. Looking into some things it might be, none of them seem very treatable per se(Thoaric Outlet being chief making them). I'm determined keep training in hopes it might resolve itself or turn up more readily identifiable symptoms. But in the meantime, I can barely make it through squats. Obviously I'll be moving squats to the end of the session. Any other suggestions? Break from a squats? Lighter squats until it's gone for a while? Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
    After 2+ years of being sedentary, I restarted SS novice LP. I'm 6'5" weigh perhaps 260lbs. I've had two formal SS coaching sessions with Heather Glover in Camden, TN (2018) and Phil Meggers in Omaha (two weeks ago). In 6 weeks of training my squat is 305 and settled down to 5lbs progressions.

I'm having only what I can describe as bilateral nerve pain(deep, dull, achey) from my shoulders to elbows on my outer arms after squatting; the only lift it really bothers me after. It seems to only show up after getting above 225. Recently, so bad I had to come back to my last two workouts at the end of the day after the pain subsided. I've tried all kinds of subtle changes to my squat grip, but I JUST had two coaches work with me.
    You had one coach work with you 3 years ago, and you had one coach work with you once two weeks ago. If the pain is that bad, I think you need some imaging, at least. You may have a cervical rib. Even so, a grip adjustment may correct this problem. I would also suggest a good chiropractor with a x-ray machine in the office, if one is available.

This pain accurately describes what would happen to me until I fixed my grip.

Problem solved, NLP back on track.

For anyone curious, I dialed back to one heavy squat workout a week and went light the other two days experimenting with grip trying to just get reps without pain. I found a new position (considerably lower) that didn't cause any pain and for the last two weeks have added 5lbs per session and set a new PRs the last 4 sessions no issue.

I need to go back to a coach and make sure this new grip isn't too low. It causes me to feel somewhat slouched at the top.