starting strength gym

Thread: New weights and programming question

Default New weights and programming question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone. Was hoping to get some guidance. I have been on the NLP for about 3 months now, made some good strength gains, so I am happy.
    I have recently turned my garage into a gym and bought calibrated plates etc.

I was training at another facility before who only had bumper plates and plastic plates to train with.
    I found that the calibrated plates are much heavier and now my previous numbers feel impossible.

Am I crazy or could this be a thing?

I took my lifts down by 10% just for some room to play with and build up again from there and was going to count it as a reset?
    Not sure if this is the best way to go about so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction?

The other question I have is related to my NLP. My stats and numbers as follows:

Male Age 31, BW 235lbs. Started at 220lbs.

Squat 320
    Bench 235
    Deadlift 400
    Press 155

My recovery is really starting to struggle now especially doing 3 x Squat sessions per week doing 3 x 5. To the point where my glutes feel like they are going to break off the day after and I obviously do not want to get injured.!

About 2 weeks ago (before starting at my own place), I have changed the program to include Mon: Back ext Wed: Deadlift and Friday: Power Cleans just to help the recovery a bit, but didn't seem to have helped much though which led me to believe its the squats thats killing me.
    I was hoping to change my squats to HLM to help aid recovery.

I am definitely eating and sleeping enough. I eat about 3500 cal per day and my protein ranges between 220-240 g per day.But I still feel like I am not recovering and I feel wrecked after every training session.

I do not want to change too many things at a time so please help me out here.
    If someone tells me that this is normal then by all means I will push through so just want to get some personal insights from you guys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AB2303 View Post
    Hi everyone. Was hoping to get some guidance. I have been on the NLP for about 3 months now, made some good strength gains, so I am happy.

I was training at another facility before who only had bumper plates and plastic plates to train with.
    I found that the calibrated plates are much heavier and now my previous numbers feel impossible.

I took my lifts down by 10% just for some room to play with and build up again from there and was going to count it as a reset?
    Not sure if this is the best way to go about so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction?

The other question I have is related to my NLP. My stats and numbers as follows:

Male Age 31, BW 235lbs. Started at 220lbs.

Squat 320
    Bench 235
    Deadlift 400
    Press 155

My recovery is really starting to struggle now especially doing 3 x Squat sessions per week doing 3 x 5. To the point where my glutes feel like they are going to break off the day after and I obviously do not want to get injured.!

About 2 weeks ago (before starting at my own place), I have changed the program to include Mon: Back ext Wed: Deadlift and Friday: Power Cleans just to help the recovery a bit, but didn't seem to have helped much though which led me to believe its the squats thats killing me.
    I was hoping to change my squats to HLM to help aid recovery.

I am definitely eating and sleeping enough. I eat about 3500 cal per day and my protein ranges between 220-240 g per day.But I still feel like I am not recovering and I feel wrecked after every training session.

I do not want to change too many things at a time so please help me out here.
    If someone tells me that this is normal then by all means I will push through so just want to get some personal insights from you guys.

Thanks
    Are you doing light squats for your mid-week session? If not, that’s good place to start.

Add one light squat day on your middle day (80%) and keep everything else the same and keep adding weight. It's hard. That's part of the deal. Keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by AB2303 View Post

For what it's worth, I had the exact same experience when I transitioned from a commercial gym to a home gym. In my case, it was going from urethane plates to bumper plates, and I had to take a similar 10% reset. I'm not sure about the reasons, but it could potentially be the change in context having a mental effect, or some other unseen differences in the equipment.

If the bar is loaded with fat plates that move the centers of mass of the plates further from the middle of the bar, the moment of inertia is longer. The load may be the same weight, but it will feel different to the lifter.

starting strength coach development program
    Different equipment can change the lift in small ways and even make small changes to the amount of weight. The 10% reset sounds like a good way to deal with it. Like everyone else is saying, the light squat day is more than likely what you need right now, especially squatting that heavy.