starting strength gym

Thread: Which would be more preferred

Default Which would be more preferred

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Reading through the gray book, the late novice programming section; would it be a better move to do a decrease in frequency and go to a workout every 48 hours (Mon, Thurs, Sun...) and maintain current sets and reps, squat is 3x5, press and bench are 5x3, deadlift is 1x5, chins are at amrap for 3 sets, usually 3 or 4 reps, and tricep ext for 3x10 or go to a 3x3 linear progression or even a top set with 2 sets of back off?

Most current weights being handled have been:

Squat 450lbx2x5 failed 2nd rep of 3rd set (video showed me driving out of the bottom with my chest, will redo this exact sets and reps on friday)
    Press 202.5lbx3x5
    Bench 250lbx3x5 (stalled at 285, going to re-run it back up to probably 265 and then switch to 2.5 pound jumps instead of 5 pounds like before)
    Deadlift 510lbx5
    Cleans 135lbx3x5

Male, 32, 6', 290lb bodyweight.

I do work 3rd shift. That definitely affects my appetite, and my sleep some.

I make sure to try and get around 250 grams of protein per day, not always great about it on my days off of work. Carbs are not being tracked super hard, I just eat something carb-like with each meal (rice, bread, have a beer etc). Fat is not being tracked but I am not actively avoiding it.

TL;DR Gonna try and focus extra hard on food consumption and sleep to help with recovery but need to be looking at the next step at this point.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm going to assume that when you say 450lbx2x5 you mean "Two sets of five at 450lb." Correct me if that assumption is wrong. The way your opening paragraph is written makes the "current weights" section confusing.

Your plan of switching to 2.5lb jumps for the bench is a good idea. I've experimented with continuing 5lb jumps and switching to intermediate programming and I like it better just to stay on LP with 2.5lb jumps for my lifters. You'll need to do the same for your press at some point.

For the squat, I would have you do 1x5 top set and 2x5 back off sets and then transition into intermediate in two to four weeks.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Yes, sorry, press is moving up in 2.5lb jumps. I will switch squat up to a top set and then a couple back offs.
    Back offs are done at 85-90%, right?

It depends. 90%-95% is a fine starting place.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Sweet. Thank you again.