starting strength gym

Thread: SS round 3 press stall

Default SS round 3 press stall

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    5’7” 175# male 38yo

Career prs: 104 press (at WFAC), 144 bench, 335 squat, 418 deadlift

Current working numbers: 130 bench, 185 squat, 245 deadlift.

I have had two back injuries this time around. The first of the two was throwing my back out squatting the first rep at 95#, after a set with the empty bar, while testing out starting numbers on the first day of training again. Also, the trainer I started with was at a competing company and I was not doing SS this whole time.

On the press, I went to triples at 72.5 and I am currently stalled at 82.5 pounds. I am pressing twice per week as Nick D suggested in one of the videos, though I am wondering if I should press every time I am in the gym, including after bench on bench days, since these weights are not very stressful. I am also following the suggestion to get the tonnage in no matter how many sets it takes. I am failing differently than I used to, above my head. I have not done a reset because dropping 5-10% from 80 seems pointless.

Advice?

Back injuries: Are you doing situps?

Program: How much weight have you gained recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Back injuries: Are you doing situps?

Program: How much weight have you gained recently?
    No situps.

How recently? Not a lot. I’m gaining 2 pounds per week right now but I’ve only been gaining for a month.

Current numbers: squat 200#, deadlift 265#, bench press 135#

Answers to the first three questions:
    1. 8 minutes timed rest.
    2. 2.5# jumps. I can go lower. I have access to calibrated kg plates down to 0.25, but at this weight that feels like giving up given my age and gender.
    3. 180g+ of animal protein, about 3500 calories. I’m a short guy with mid twenties body fat. This isn’t the 4000 minimum stated in “The First Three Questions,” but seems appropriate per “A Clarification” unless I’ve misunderstood.