starting strength gym

Thread: How to program weighted chins/pulls after failure

Default How to program weighted chins/pulls after failure

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

I do weighted chinups/pullups (alternated with body-weight-only chinups/pullups) as an assistance exercise. I aim for 3 sets of 5, and have been slowly increasing the weight (i.e. adding 1 lb every week or so). Today for the first time, I couldn't do my usual 3x5 set of weighted pullups (only managed 3 reps on the 1st set). Should I reset the weight (currently at 59 lbs), or continue slowly increasing the weight and just do 3x3 or 3x2 (instead of 3x5)?

And yes, I realize this is an assistance exercise and shouldn't be obsessed over...but I'm legitimately curious what the best way is to handle this situation. I like doing the weighted chins/pulls as an assistance exercise, and I may as well be programming them as correctly as possible.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-skypig

Lot's of options here. I like to run the reps out 3, 2, 1. You can also alternate with a lighter (or BW) volume day and eventually return to try for a new top set of 5 and so on.

Thanks Hayden - just to make sure I understand: you're talking about "running it out" with 3x3, 3x2, and 3x1, correct? (instead of 3x5)

And I'm already alternating with a BW volume day, so I think I'm good there. Thanks!

Yep. But you can play around with the number of sets as well: 4x3, 4x2, 5x1. You can even do back offs for some of the sets if you are doing a bunch.

Thanks Hayden - you've given me some good ideas to start working on!

starting strength coach development program
    This is a great thread! I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for posting the question, skypig, and thanks for the guidance, Hayden-William!