starting strength gym

Thread: How much should I block pull?

Default How much should I block pull?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    today was the first time I did block pulls and I thought it was supposed to be heavier than my regular DLs. I put the bar at 12cm higher (around 4.72 inches, ended up being just below the knee). So I put 90% of my estimated 1RM (172kg/378.4 lbs) on the bar and almost broke my back and the weight did not move one bit. Are block pulls supposed to be harder than regular DLs? On Monday I pulled 157kg (345.4 lbs) for 7 reps (went for AMRAP), Wednesday I Stiff Legged 95kg (209 lbs) for 4 sets of 10, today I ended up block pulling 120kg (264 lbs) for 4 sets of 5 (I was going to do 4 sets of 3 but was trying to find the correct weight), then I RDLed 95kg for 4 sets of 10. going to a meet on the 5th of December for just DLs, that's the reason for all the variations. Does anyone use a certain percentage of their DLs for block pulling? First time doing it, not sure if I'm just not used to them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sirlinx View Post
    today was the first time I did block pulls and I thought it was supposed to be heavier than my regular DLs. I put the bar at 12cm higher (around 4.72 inches, ended up being just below the knee). So I put 90% of my estimated 1RM (172kg/378.4 lbs) on the bar and almost broke my back and the weight did not move one bit. Are block pulls supposed to be harder than regular DLs? On Monday I pulled 157kg (345.4 lbs) for 7 reps (went for AMRAP), Wednesday I Stiff Legged 95kg (209 lbs) for 4 sets of 10, today I ended up block pulling 120kg (264 lbs) for 4 sets of 5 (I was going to do 4 sets of 3 but was trying to find the correct weight), then I RDLed 95kg for 4 sets of 10. going to a meet on the 5th of December for just DLs, that's the reason for all the variations. Does anyone use a certain percentage of their DLs for block pulling? First time doing it, not sure if I'm just not used to them yet.

I noticed the same thing when I tried them for the first time. Pretty sure the weight was out in front of my mid-foot due to expecting the same level of knee bend in the setup (there is much less since the pull is already off the floor).

Rack pulls from a higher position are always heavier than a floor pull, since they are partial ROM from a mechanically advantageous position. If you can't do more from the rack than from the floor, your start position is wrong, or you are not using straps.

Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company

I was in fact not using straps, I was also warming up with regular DLs instead of block pulling through my warm ups, perhaps I can fix the mechanical nature of the lift with lighter weights before hitting the working weight. Thanks guys, will adjust!