starting strength gym

Thread: Calibrating Heavy Squat for HLM

Default Calibrating Heavy Squat for HLM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi! I'm looking for advice on setting the starting weight for my squats on heavy days in my first HLM program.

Stats
    5' 8", 208 lbs, 23% body fat (Navy method), 49-year-old male

End of NLP: Squat 5x3, 380; Bench 5x3, 257.5; Press 5x3, 140; Deadlift 1x5, 425; Power Clean 5x3, 127.5; Chins 3x5, 35
    Maximum 3x5: Squat, 365; Bench, 245; Press, 122.5
    2021 Testify Fall Classic maximum lifts (last week): Squat, 396; Press, 150; Deadlift 447

Because NLP ended at different times for each lift, I implemented Texas Method for each. Squat NLP ended a couple of weeks before my first meet (the Testify Fall Classic), so I implemented Texas Method until then. I set my volume day weights for Squat, Bench, and Press as 90% of my weights at the end of NLP. It was difficult, but I was able to complete all reps. I was able to complete 1x5 at 100% on intensity day for the squat (i.e., 380 1x5), but not for the bench or press. I guess my age and fatigue from the NLP were factors.

I decided to implement a HLM program after the meet and read on the forums that I should use 90% of the weight of my last successful 3x5 for the heavy day. I did so this past Monday, and it felt good; I was not as beat up as I usually am. Yesterday was light day, and I did 80% of Monday's weight for the squat, which felt easy. I am worried I am starting HLM too light, but my volume days on Texas method were too heavy. Am I on the right track with HLM?

FYI, here is the HLM program I planned:

Heavy Day
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Light Day
    Squat 3x5@80%
    Press 5x5
    Weighted Chins 3x5

Medium Day
    Squat 3x5@90%
    Decline Press 3x5
    Power Cleans 5x3

Goals: improve lifts for the Testify Strengthlifting Challenge in April; get body fat to 20% or less

This looks like too much volume on squat, and you're neglecting pressing and benching intensity, but try it out and see what happens.

When you get closer to the meet, you'll need to practice some heavy singles for at least a few weeks. This program is not going to prepare you for a meet as well as one that has you practicing heavy singles on the press.

When you get too beat up and underrecovered, drop the Monday squats to 3x5 and see if that helps.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks Andrew! FWIW, I meant to write "Incline Press" instead of "Decline Press," but I see your point. I tried incline presses last night, and they weren't very satisfying (maybe because it's a new lift for me).

I read Nick Delgadillo's article, Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts (Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo), which recommended press singles and 1x5 bench on intensity day. He called it a "compressed Texas Method." Would that work in my HLM program in place of the incline press on medium day?

Thanks also for feedback on the squats! I will switch to 3x5 on heavy day when I start feeling too beat-up. I did my medium day last night, and though the squats felt easy, my hips are telling me otherwise this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Marszalek View Post
    I read Nick Delgadillo's article, Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts (Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo), which recommended press singles and 1x5 bench on intensity day. He called it a "compressed Texas Method." Would that work in my HLM program in place of the incline press on medium day?
    Yeah, I think this would be a much better way to organize your upper body lifts.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Thanks again, Andrew! My brother lives close to Indy. Maybe we'll look you up when you get settled over there.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Marszalek View Post
    Thanks again, Andrew! My brother lives close to Indy. Maybe we'll look you up when you get settled over there.
    My pleasure. Yeah. Look us up. We'd love to have you in.

If he wants updates on the gym, send him the early-interest list so he can subscribe.