starting strength gym

Thread: Press programming

Default Press programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would appreciate some advice on what modification I should make to keep my press unstuck. I’ve been pressing 3 days per week and micro-loading 2.5lbs weekly. I bench 2x per week. My bench is still going up 2.5lbs on a weekly basis. My third press day is heavy singles across. This has worked well for me for quite a few weeks now. The singles are slowing down though. I’m no longer able to add weight and complete the reps on my singles across day. My sticking point in right at forehead height. I’m not sure if I should add a fourth pressing day of pin presses or modify one of my current press days. Any advice is appreciated.

I’m 20 years old 5’8” 190 lbs
    Bench is at 290x5
    Press is at 180x5

My current bench and press training are as follows:

Sunday
    Bench intensity: three week rotation of 1x5, 2x3, and 3x2 (adding 2.5lbs each week)
    Press volume: 5x5 @155

Wednesday
    Press intensity: three week rotation of 1x5, 2x3, and 3x2 (adding 2.5lbs each week)
    Bench volume 5x5 @ 265

Friday: press singles across 5x1 @ 195

I make occasional resets on my volume days so they don’t get too close to the intensity day.

Here’s a video of my last set of 5 on a 5x5 press day: November 15, 2021 - YouTube

You really have two intensity days here: the Friday and Sunday. If you want to do rotating reps and that has been working well, I would get rid of your press singles day and replace it with pin presses. And then also add a singles rotation to the intensity press (probably get rid of the double to keep a three week rotation).

In terms of technique, there's definitely room for improvement. Reach your hips way more and let yourself lay back a little to get your face out of the way. Keep the bar midfoot - it's getting forward and you're getting on your toes.

Are you willing to gain weight?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks for the programming advice. I’ve gained about 10lbs in the past two months which has helped my pressing strength immensely. Weight gain has currently slowed down though. I am planing to slowly gain another 10lbs or so. As for more of a layback I feel as if I am laying back as much as possible. However, when I watch videos of my sets I obviously don’t have a huge layback. Is this because I’m not as flexible as those with more of a layback? Or do I just need to change something in terms of my technique?

Also what sets and reps should be used for the pin press day?
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 11-15-2021 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Consolidated posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Gach View Post
    Thanks for the programming advice. I’ve gained about 10lbs in the past two months which has helped my pressing strength immensely. Weight gain has currently slowed down though. I am planing to slowly gain another 10lbs or so. As for more of a layback I feel as if I am laying back as much as possible. However, when I watch videos of my sets I obviously don’t have a huge layback. Is this because I’m not as flexible as those with more of a layback? Or do I just need to change something in terms of my technique?
    You're not letting your hips go forward enough and letting yourself layback. It's literally that simple. You're going to need to videotape a lot of warm ups to make sure it's right unless you can get in-person coaching. This is fixable in two minutes in person. I recommend you reach out to the closest SSC. Have you watched the "Learning the Lifts" video for the press?

Quote Originally Posted by John Gach View Post
    Also what sets and reps should be used for the pin press day?
    There's a few ways to do it, but I think starting with a single heavy set of five makes the most sense. Then add weight each week for 1x5.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 11-15-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com