starting strength gym

Thread: Plateau Issue/ intermediate programming timing

Default Plateau Issue/ intermediate programming timing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I (re)started SS 2.5 months ago after a 1 yr hiatus and quickly hit a wall about 2 months in. I think I'm eating enough, sleeping enough, and for certain I'm getting enough rest between sets. Current numbers for 22 210bw 5'11 are 145 p/ 145 bp/ 245 s/ 285 dl(x5, I have bad shoulders and no spotter for bench so I'm very weak there).

This is what I tried so far. In my last workout I tried lowering the weight slightly -but not not an insignificant amount, and added more volume to the workout (2-4 sets). I then went today... and WOW! -I was a bit of a problem... Mogging the twinks overhead pressing their squat in the rack beside them, in front of their shared partner of unidentifiable gender -if only I took a video and showed my mother, she would have been SO IMPRESSED. But less importantly, I increased weight effortlessly for everything by a good 10-20 lbs. Is this a bad strategy to rely on?

When is it worth considering transitioning to intermediate program? Obviously only 2 months in so unlikely now, but is it possible I'm just a genetic weakling that has a very low strength ceiling? And if that is the case (which is what it felt like for a full two weeks, unable to progress) - should intermediate training be considered if the novice ceiling is considerably lower?

Thanks for reading (if applicable)!

Quote Originally Posted by ralfie c View Post
    Hello,

I (re)started SS 2.5 months ago after a 1 yr hiatus and quickly hit a wall about 2 months in. I think I'm eating enough, sleeping enough, and for certain I'm getting enough rest between sets. Current numbers for 22 210bw 5'11 are 145 p/ 145 bp/ 245 s/ 285 dl(x5, I have bad shoulders and no spotter for bench so I'm very weak there).

This is what I tried so far. In my last workout I tried lowering the weight slightly -but not not an insignificant amount, and added more volume to the workout (2-4 sets). I then went today... and WOW! -I was a bit of a problem... Mogging the twinks overhead pressing their squat in the rack beside them, in front of their shared partner of unidentifiable gender -if only I took a video and showed my mother, she would have been SO IMPRESSED. But less importantly, I increased weight effortlessly for everything by a good 10-20 lbs. Is this a bad strategy to rely on?

When is it worth considering transitioning to intermediate program? Obviously only 2 months in so unlikely now, but is it possible I'm just a genetic weakling that has a very low strength ceiling? And if that is the case (which is what it felt like for a full two weeks, unable to progress) - should intermediate training be considered if the novice ceiling is considerably lower?

Thanks for reading (if applicable)!
    You should probably post some videos, because if you are a male, your lifts are almost definitely nowhere near your NLP ceiling on everything except the press. Your dl looks particularly low, especially if you have trained before this NLP, as you indicated. Something big is holding your back. Usual culprits are eating and rest between sets, but you say you're doing those the right way. Based on personal experience of doing things the wrong way, your situation indicates to me there are significant form issues.

Also, what does "bad shoulders" mean in your case?