Cycling an bulking Cycling an bulking

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cycling an bulking

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5

    Default Cycling an bulking

    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    • starting strength seminar april 2022
    • starting strength seminar june 2022
    Hey guys.

    I am a road cyclist but I would like to gain muscles. My goals are to gain up to 80 Kg and to get stronger, 2xBW Squat, 2.5 BW Deadlift.

    I usually ride 25+hours a week and could train 4 days in the gym. Iím a Cat3 crit and tour racer. My goal for next year is a 4 day tour and a lot of crits. So I have to be fast and explosive.

    My current stats:

    BW: 69 Kg

    Height: 178 cm

    Squats: 100 kg 3x5

    Deadlift: 110 kg 3x5

    Bench: 65 kg 3x5

    OHP: 45 kg 3x5


    Should I do Starting Strength? Which of your programs would you recommend?

    Also I usually burn 4500-6000 calories a day. What does a 4500-6000 calorie meal plan look like? Any carbs recommendations?


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rumplex View Post
    Hey guys.

    I am a road cyclist but I would like to gain muscles. My goals are . . . 2.5 BW Deadlift.

    . . .

    My current stats:

    . . .

    Deadlift: 110 kg 3x5

    . . .
    Can you add 65 kg and get to 2.5x on your deadlift while cycling 25+ hours a week?

    I don't know, but you certainly could add 25 kg in less than a month if you temporarily backed off the cycling and followed the Starting Strength novice program.

    Why not try that and see what happens.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Do you have a track anywhere near you?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Are you willing to take two to four months off of your cycling training in order to get stronger?
    Sign up for the SS Indianapolis early-interest list for exclusive content.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com
    Until Starting Strength Indianapolis is open, I'll still be coaching out of my Ohio gym: BlackmetalStrengthTraining

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Do you have a track anywhere near you?
    No, I am a road cyclist and I will train on my Wahoo for next season. Should I do Starting Strength or the TM?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Are you willing to take two to four months off of your cycling training in order to get stronger?
    In principles yes, but I am training for a race in February next year. So, I canít do it. I want to get stronger and I want to be muscular. I donít like the look of cyclists or runners. Also, I want to improve my explosiveness.
    Should I do Starting Strength or Texas Method? What program is right for me?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rumplex View Post
    In principles yes, but I am training for a race in February next year. So, I can’t do it. I want to get stronger and I want to be muscular. I don’t like the look of cyclists or runners. Also, I want to improve my explosiveness.
    Should I do Starting Strength or Texas Method? What program is right for me?
    You're not going to be particularly good at cycling or getting strong if you continue to cycle while you get stronger. You're probably also going to get a really nasty adductor and/or lower abdominal pain that is not fun. Everyone I know who tried to cycle while doing their NLP has had this happen to them, and this forum is littered with historical examples of this as well.

    I used to run triathlons and was convinced that I needed to do the two simultaneously. The first 3-4 months of my first attempt at an NLP, I obstinately refused and I didn't get very strong. At least, I wasn't strong to the point where it would have made a difference in my cycling. I decided to hang up the cardio for a while and get stronger. I was 8 weeks into a real LP (sans cycling, running, swimming, etc.,) when COVID hit. Knowing that I needed to do something to keep sane, I got back on my bike for the 2-3 months we were locked down. It literally took me about 10 days to return to where I was at before, and I was cranking out roughly 7-8% more power. You're just going to have to trust us. The time you spend away from the bike, getting stronger, doing the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression, will allow you to produce higher wattage over longer periods of time such that it will augment the cycling you missed while getting stronger.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rumplex View Post
    In principles yes, but I am training for a race in February next year. So, I can’t do it. I want to get stronger and I want to be muscular. I don’t like the look of cyclists or runners. Also, I want to improve my explosiveness.
    Should I do Starting Strength or Texas Method? What program is right for me?
    I would say that if you're serious, when you're able to take time off of cycling training after the race in February, you should do Starting Strength as written and gain at least 10kg over four months and add 200lb to your squat.
    Sign up for the SS Indianapolis early-interest list for exclusive content.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com
    Until Starting Strength Indianapolis is open, I'll still be coaching out of my Ohio gym: BlackmetalStrengthTraining

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    You're not going to be particularly good at cycling or getting strong if you continue to cycle while you get stronger. You're probably also going to get a really nasty adductor and/or lower abdominal pain that is not fun. Everyone I know who tried to cycle while doing their NLP has had this happen to them, and this forum is littered with historical examples of this as well.

    I used to run triathlons and was convinced that I needed to do the two simultaneously. The first 3-4 months of my first attempt at an NLP, I obstinately refused and I didn't get very strong. At least, I wasn't strong to the point where it would have made a difference in my cycling. I decided to hang up the cardio for a while and get stronger. I was 8 weeks into a real LP (sans cycling, running, swimming, etc.,) when COVID hit. Knowing that I needed to do something to keep sane, I got back on my bike for the 2-3 months we were locked down. It literally took me about 10 days to return to where I was at before, and I was cranking out roughly 7-8% more power. You're just going to have to trust us. The time you spend away from the bike, getting stronger, doing the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression, will allow you to produce higher wattage over longer periods of time such that it will augment the cycling you missed while getting stronger.
    Thanks. I will stop cycling after my race and will doing the SS. Should I do SS or TM? I think that I have a good Basis with my Strength stats for SS and TM. Which probably should I do? Maybe the TM would be a better choice. What do you think about it that? Any tips for adductor training?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I would say that if you're serious, when you're able to take time off of cycling training after the race in February, you should do Starting Strength as written and gain at least 10kg over four months and add 200lb to your squat.
    Thanks. I will stop cycling after my race and will doing the SS. Should I do SS or TM? I think that I have a good Basis with my Strength stats for SS and TM. Which probably should I do? Maybe the TM would be a better choice. What do you think about it that? Could I do rows or pull ups instead of PC? What other exercises should I do?
    The last time I canít progress on my lifts. Show I eat more? I usually eat around 4500 calories while cycling six times a week. Any carbs recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •