starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Programming

Default Squat Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, would like to update that my partner and I have completed the Andy Baker program called GGW (HLM) with a focus on the Press.
    (Press x2 a week
    Bench x1 a week
    Deadlift x2 a week
    Squat x3 a week)

Me: Male, 27, 220 pounds, Eating 4000 Calories a day.
    Squat: 440 -> 450
    Press: 190 -> 205
    Deadlift: 475 -> 500
    Bench: 260 -> Failed 265

She: Female, 37, 160 pounds, Eating 3200 Calories a day.
    Squat: 212.5 -> Failed 215
    Press: 90 -> 95
    Deadlift: 245 -> 275
    Bench: 115 -> 117.5

I understand I failed the Bench because the program focused on the Press, but my question is what can be done with my partner in terms of programming?
    She has not progressed in squats for half a year.

The previous program was the Baker Barbell 5x5 which is an Upper / Lower program 3 times a week. (She adjust the program a little bit and added 5% to her squat session so most of the cahnces it had a negative effect on the progress, but it was the previous program so I am not sure it's really necessary).

Squat Comparing = 3 times in 2 weeks (BB 5x5)
    compared to 6 times in 2 weeks (GGW).

She is helpless, any recommendations?

You're going to need to provide a lot more detail about her programming and progress. How tall is she? What's the actual program? What did she start at? When did she stall? How long since she started the program?

How long is she resting between work sets?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Hi, sorry I did not provide all the information. My height: 5'10 Her height: 5'7 We rest long enough between sets to finish the next set, ranging from 5-10 minutes on average, depending on weight.

She started Starting Strength and reached 185 for 3.
    Moved to Texas Method according to the variation of the women in PPST 3 and reached 212.5 per single 215 failed.

Moved to the HLM program with squats 3 times a week and cut percentages from 212.5.

Example of a program:
    Week 1
    Squat 70% 4x6 (Heavy)
    Squat 60% 2x6 (Light)
    Squat 65% 3x6 (Medium)

Week 2, increase by 5% in each of them and decrease to 5 repetitions in all.
    Week 3, go up another 5% and go down to 4 reps in all.
    After that start week 4 with 5% more than week 1 for the same number of repetitions (3 weeks cycle, for 9 weeks) Reach up to 90% for 4x4 at week 9.

And then 2 weeks before the test there is 95% for 1-2 repetitions.

Everything went up, Squat stalled... maybe should squat twice a week instead ?

She needs a better coach. If she is doing 4 sets of 6 at 70% for HEAVY day, her coach does not understand several things about training women, or even basic programming.

This sounds like you switched her to a three cycling rep program after Texas Method stopped working instead of fixing and modifying from there. She definitely needs to be doing lower rep sets for her heavy work. 4 is not even low reps for women. This entire set up is probably more complicated than it needs to be.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks. You right, Lower rep range + higher intensity is the way to work with a women as written in the books.
    and suggestions ?

starting strength coach development program
    I'd suggest lower reps and higher intensity, as written in the books.