starting strength gym

Thread: Still progressing w/Novice, but should I switch to Intermediate anyway?

Default Still progressing w/Novice, but should I switch to Intermediate anyway?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I'm 30 years old, about 6 ft tall, 220 pounds (started at 165lbs). Working set numbers are 240 on bench, 175 press, 355 for squat, and 425 deadlift. That's after 11 months off and on. I'm military and immediately after starting strength training, I had several work isolations (mini deployments) without gym access due to Covid-19. Now that those interruptions are behind me, I'm finally on a good path. I train M, W, and F. Feeling solid.

My basic question here is when do I dive into the Practical Programming book (which I have) in order to make a new plan? FYI, I'm not missing any reps on my sets (I record every set). I personally want, and probably could, get up to about 390-405 on squat, and more than 450 on deadlift if I keep on this "quick" path, but I also don't want to be unnecessarily greedy and hurt myself.

Thanks in advance!

Why do you think adding 5lb a workout until you can't will hurt you?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisY View Post
    My basic question here is when do I dive into the Practical Programming book (which I have) in order to make a new plan?
    Just came to say that you should start reading now, even if you aren’t ready to switch (which it sounds like you aren’t). The transition from novice to late-novice to early-intermediate requires some planning, and you’ll want to have a plan in place before you actually need it.

Well, I don't necessarily believe I'll get hurt, but is the end of my novice programming simply supposed to be when I start failing sets? Or are there some subjective indications I should, for example, start deadlifting just once a week?