starting strength gym

Thread: Warmups for weighted chins/pulls?

Default Warmups for weighted chins/pulls?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I've been doing weighted chins/pulls for a while now (alternating with body weight chins/pulls), but I don't really include any warmup sets. I don't think warmup sets were defined for weighted chins/pulls in either the blue book or the gray book, but that doesn't mean they're not warranted. On the one hand, these are assistance exercises that maybe don't require the same attention/treatment as the 4 main lifts...but on the other hand, just because they're assistance exercises doesn't mean they shouldn't be programmed intelligently.

Currently, on the days that I do weighted chins/pulls, I start with one set of 3 body weight reps as a warmup, and then just go straight to 3 work sets of 5 weighted chins/pulls. In case it's important, I'm adding 62 lbs of weight for pulls, and 78 lbs of weight for chins. In my case, does it make sense to add additional warmup sets (i.e. in addition to the 3 BW reps I do), before I hit my work sets? Or is this overkill for these types of assistance exercises?

Thanks for your help!

-skypig

Depends on how healthy your shoulders are. If you've never had a shoulder injury, you can probably do this for quite a while. But I see nothing wrong with doing a weighted single at 45 pounds.

Thankfully I've never had a shoulder injury, but I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible - so I'll insert a 45-lb warmup rep like you suggested. If I ever get to 100 lbs of added weight, perhaps I can add a 70-lb warmup rep on top of that.

Thanks Rip for your help!