starting strength gym

Thread: Sudden drop in performance?

Default Sudden drop in performance?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    As a preface, I will note that I operate on a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday SS schedule. Due to Thanksgiving, I had my last workout on Tuesday. On Sunday, I went back and did the Press/Deadlift workout I last did on a Saturday (8 days break). Since the last squat workout (Tuesday), I had to drop roughly 20lbs in weight, because my knees were caving in hard. Since the last press workout, I had to drop down 10lbs in weight, despite numerous attempts at equal, or 5lbs weight drop.
    What was this caused by? I don't think I could have atrophied over a period of 8 days. I don't think it's a mindset issue either, as I tried many times, but the weights were just too heavy to lift with proper form.
    What should I do next workout? Try to add more weight? Redo the last workout with the same weights? Or try lighter?

Hi Mark,
    I was expecting this type of an answer: I have read both of these articles a long time ago and I'm trying to follow the program rigorously, with appropriate dieting (3.5-4k kcal), sleep (8hrs+) and weight progression (2.5lbs/workout on all the lifts except DL). I usually end up resting 10+ minutes between sets. I do realise taking a week off is NDTP, but there was nothing I could do about that, and my question is mostly about how is that possible that such a short lay off could result in such a drastic loss of strength and what should I do about it, now that the damage is done?

Quote Originally Posted by wojciech View Post
    I do realise taking a week off is NDTP, but there was nothing I could do about that, and my question is mostly about how is that possible that such a short lay off could result in such a drastic loss of strength and what should I do about it, now that the damage is done?
    It's not possible that the layoff caused a huge drop in strength. But you did not tell us your lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's not possible that the layoff caused a huge drop in strength. But you did not tell us your lifts.
    P/B/S/D in lbs: 128/192/275/305
    Power clean: 128

Like pulling teeth here. Bodyweight?

6'2'', 235 lbs, 19yo. I know it's a bad strength/weight ratio, but I'm trying my best here. Started off 2 years ago weighing 130-140, covid made me do the program in 3-month-long chunks followed by 3-month-long lay offs.

Your bodyweight is not terrible for your level of training advancement, but your lifts are shit because you haven't done the program. Do the program.

On an unrelated note, my lab results came back today and my total/bioavailable/free test is 420ng/dl / 130ng/dl / 65 pg/ml. Thats fairly low for a guy my age, right?

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, so today the same thing happened with my press, last Thursday I pressed 135 for 4,4,3,2,2, and today, I couldn't even get the same weight for 1 (tried 137.5 three times, 135 two times). What the hell is happening here? Could it be misweighed gym plates? Did something like this happen to anyone else? Or do I have a neurological pathology?