starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After SS NLP, how might I respond to hypertrophy training? When should I cut?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ReidBennett View Post
    I'd like to reach a healthy body fat some time soon, but I am willing to accept putting on more muscle post Starting Strength instead, if there is an elevated benefit to gain muscle after building a strength base. That's the root of my question. If cutting means that I miss out on taking advantage of my strength base to put on a good amount of muscle in my early intermediate training, then the cut can wait. During a cut, I would continue to lift heavy compound movements and just slowly cut calories as I lose body weight, averaging about a pound a week.

My hypertrophy program is likely going to have more sets instead of more reps per set, keeping the weight heavy. I think that there is a lot of scientific evidence to support that as a good way to build muscle.

Which should come first, an intermediate bulk or cut?
    I think you're asking the wrong community for bulking/cutting advise, or pure hypertrophy training. As Rip states, those are purely for aesthetic purposes while most of SS is focused on strength. What you need to realize is that at any point you start "cutting", you're hitting a calorie deficit and can't adequately recover and gain muscle as you would be if you were "bulking". There isn't a program in the world that will adequately let you progress for long while also cutting, at best you can maintain. However, as you continue LP, you will gain the muscle and move the weight and need all those calories to help recover. If you look on page 51 of PP, the rep range chart shows that with lower reps, you do gain strength and hypertrophy, because what else moves the weight?

Change up your diet slightly but still get 1g of protein per 1lbs of bodyweight if you are really concerned, but at least get to the end of the program before making too many decisions. Who knows what will happen by then?

starting strength coach development program
    I don’t remember where I saw it: blue book, grey book, an article or maybe I heard it on a podcast, but somewhere Rip talked about the difference between myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy,

That was a light bulb moment for me in understanding what was happening to people’s bodies when they get stronger versus doing “hypertrophy training.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12