starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Program question

Default Program question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background: 42 year old male. Bodyweight Started 2 years ago at 157 lbs currently 199.1 lbs. 30 pounds first year remainder the next with 6 in the last month. Height 5’11”. Started by running NLP then 5/3/1 BBB 4 day then wasted time. Things got hard and I switched to “more volume” but was really being a bitch. Wasted a ton of time and it shows with a flat graph of my weights from that period.

Had surgery on a hernia the first of October and restarted before the end of October with a 4 day split volume/intensity alternating bench/press and squat/ deadlift.

Things are moving up, body weight included, but I don’t think I have things set quite right. I have the grey book and blue book, but I maybe have some issues with my reading comprehension. I’m sure that will be gently pointed out.

Current 3x5 sets on intensity day:
    Squat 325
    Deadlift 400
    Press 150
    Bench 280

On the volume day I do 5x5 at 80-85% of the next 3x5 that increases by 5 lbs each week.

As stated things are moving up, at issue is that the squat tends to have a failure on the last rep of the last set on the 3x5 day. Next intensity day I hold the weight and make the reps.

The failure will come from my lower back failing to remain flat on the last set. I’ll still stand up, but will round the back more than should be acceptable on rep 4 and not go for 5.

Question, have I interpreted the 4 day split volume intensity program correctly or I’m I off? Any words of wisdom for the lower back?

Are you actually doing 3 x 5 at 400 on the deadlift?

Yes

You're not doing the program.

Ok so the comment on page 98 applies to all the programs. One set. Is the rest all wrong as well? Also thanks for all the effort you and you team put into us with low reading comprehension

Put 5x3 cleans in on your volume day instead of DL. Similarly, change DL intensity day to 1x5. Like Rip alluded to your back is probably hurting because you're deadlifting too much.

For the other exercises I'd call 3x5 medium intensity. A few places you could go from here-one option for squat would be 1x5 on intensity day or another would be to squat 3x5 both days and continue to add 5lbs twice a week.

Thanks will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny214 View Post
    On the volume day I do 5x5 at 80-85% of the next 3x5 that increases by 5 lbs each week.
    Follow-on questions:

Am I correct that you got an epigastric hernia repair in October?

Are you also doing, on a weekly basis, 5x5 80-85% of a 400 deadlift (i.e., DL 320x5x5), in addition to a weekly "intensity" deadlift of 400x5x3?

No comment, just clarifying the situation!

I did have an epigastric hernia repair in October. Yes, I was doing 5x5 on volume day. 400 was the weight for the last intensity day; I had been adding 5 lbs each week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're not doing the program.

Rip killed Kenny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast