Male
    194 lbs
    5' 7"
    37 years old

SQ: 340 x 2
    DL: 390 x 2
    BP: 225 x 2
    OHP: 120 x 4

I've been consistently strength training for 4+ years with a few hiccups. I've done SSLP 2 times, Wendler’s 5/3/1 for some time (it didn’t work for me due to low frequency/intensity, especially on squat and deadlift), and in the last 6 months I’ve done Andy Baker's Classic HLM and GGW2 (HL). I never tried TM because the sessions can be long (I can’t spend 1.5/2 hours per session) and my recovery is not the best.

I play soccer in a league once per week and doing lower body strength training 3x week is too taxing for me because of my 1 soccer game + 2 additional conditioning sessions (hills sprints, air dyne bike) I do every week. Classic HLM had me squatting 3x week plus 1 deadlift session, and GGW2 squatting 2x week plus deadlift on the non-squat day. I want a program that has 2 lower body sessions per week, not 3. I can do strength training 3x or 4x week.

I’ve read SS, PPST, and BPST books. I really liked the idea of doing a heavy/light lower/upper 4-day split program as described in Barbell Prescription. The general guidelines in the book are really good but I don’t think they are enough for me to put together my own program (HLM/HL progressions, rep scheme, etc.). What I really like about Andy Baker’s Classic HLM and GGW2 templates is that they layout 12/13 weeks with % numbers based on 1RM, and then I can play with variables as I see fit to modify intensity and volume. Given my busy life I find very hard finding time to put my own program together and need a more structured plan.

1. Do you have any suggestions on an intermediate 1RM % based template with lower body 2x week (3- or 4-day splits)?
    2. Is there any way to adapt Classic HLM or GGW2 to have lower body sessions 2x week?

If you cannot recover, you cannot train. The program doesn't matter. Just find something you like doing every week and do that. Enjoy your conditioning.

I respect you, Mark, but that’s not helpful.

I’d appreciate other thoughts.

Sometimes the truth is not perceived as helpful if it does not agree with our wishes and desires.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Rip.

Hopefully others will also share their insights/experience that could apply to my case.

It sounds like 5/3/1 is what you're looking for. There are lots of ways to increase volume and intensity. Instead of 65, 75, 85% use 70, 80, 90. On your last set, instead of going for reps for one set, do 5x5 with that weight regardless of the week. That should be enough volume. If you need even more intensity, do a couple/few (whatever you need) sets adding weight each set and using whatever number of reps that week calls for. For more frequency and volume do 5x10 presses on bench day, 5x10 benches on press day and same thing with squats and deadlifts. You have a ready made four day a week plan training each lift two times a week and based on percentages as you wanted.

Just a by the way, these are not my ideas, they're in Beyond 5/3/1.

I have had some success with one day squat /power cleans and light squat /deadlift the second day as outlined in the gray book. I think it's in the section that talks about introducing a light day for old people. Not sure how it'd work with 3 other conditioning days throughout the week.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    It sounds like 5/3/1 is what you're looking for. There are lots of ways to increase volume and intensity. Instead of 65, 75, 85% use 70, 80, 90. On your last set, instead of going for reps for one set, do 5x5 with that weight regardless of the week. That should be enough volume. If you need even more intensity, do a couple/few (whatever you need) sets adding weight each set and using whatever number of reps that week calls for. For more frequency and volume do 5x10 presses on bench day, 5x10 benches on press day and same thing with squats and deadlifts. You have a ready made four day a week plan training each lift two times a week and based on percentages as you wanted.

Just a by the way, these are not my ideas, they're in Beyond 5/3/1.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Dalan. That 5/3/1 setup would be similar to a heavy/light 4-day split, and I like your suggestion to increase intensity. I always felt that the first sets of 65/75/85% (or whatever percentages of the week are) were more like an extended warmup and I didn't get quality work sets with 5/3/1.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    I have had some success with one day squat /power cleans and light squat /deadlift the second day as outlined in the gray book. I think it's in the section that talks about introducing a light day for old people. Not sure how it'd work with 3 other conditioning days throughout the week.
    Thanks for the input, JJ23.

starting strength coach development program
    There's so many different 531 variations dude, it'a not hard to find a dozen or so with more frequency/intensity.

That said, if 531 doesn't have enough intensity/frequency, but HLM has too much, I think Rip is right, just focus on conditioning.