starting strength gym

Thread: Using different methods of progression for different lifts?

Default Using different methods of progression for different lifts?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys, I guess I should start by giving you my quick details.

Coming up to 33
    5ft 10
    200lbs

Estimated maxes:
    Squat: 240lbs
    Bench: 240lbs
    Deadlift: 400lbs
    OHP: 140lbs

I've been in the gym for a while although it's hard to measure due to COVID closures causing two steps forward three steps back quite consistently over the past ~2yrs.

I'm aware that my squat is unreasonably low. This is due to a few problems down below and changing my form far too many times. I actually got up to around 290lbs before but I wasn't going low enough. Started them right from the beginning doing them ass to grass and the problem healed up. I now feel like I should be doing the more common powerlift depth and aim upwards from here.

I guess the first mistake i'll be told is i've been running my own programming from things i've learned online. 4 days a week, each main lift 2x week (except for deadlift just 1x a week), adding 5/10lbs every week until it got more difficult and then. Reducing the reps whilst adding weight and once i failed there i'd go back down at a higher weight getting more reps again (like a 5x5, 5x4, 5x3, 5x5 etc type progression). I also feel that maybe on my "lighter days" i may be have been pushing too close to failure too much but as i kept managing to grind out more volume i thought i was doing the right thing.

Anyway. I'm looking to go on a program for general strength training (not interested in competing, I'm not an athlete but would like to become a little fitter too) but thinking that maybe my squat has a ton of linear gains left. I've been doing that paralysis by analysis thing I think and need pointing in the right direction whilst considering where i'm currently at

I've read the PPST and also been watching a lot of Andy Baker but not sure what I should jump straight into.

Thanks to anyone who took the type to rea this.

Why don't you just start LP again and then proceed as normal? Squats will probably last a lot longer and everything else will get into intermediate pretty soon.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I was unsure on whether I'd be able to continue to make progress on bench/ohp with LP but you're probably right. I've actually spent the past 3 weeks just trying to maintain my strength whilst losing ~10lbs as I do the research into my next plan of action. So far I've done alright and I was actually okay with slowly decreasing my 5x5s to 3x5s with the same weight to prepare me for jumping into one of Andy Bakers programs. Maybe this was a mistake. Either way I don't mind as long as I keep moving forward. I was going to try and find out more about the 8-5-2 method but as you believe I could still progress week to week it shows I have no idea what I'm on about v_v

You're doing everything as wrong as it is possible to do them. For a change, maybe you should just do the program.

Quote Originally Posted by pownaime View Post
    Maybe this was a mistake. Either way I don't mind as long as I keep moving forward. I was going to try and find out more about the 8-5-2 method but as you believe I could still progress week to week it shows I have no idea what I'm on about v_v
    Here is the thing, do the simplest things first. Try the program, including rest and enough food to gain weight. Read the book. Read the YNDTP https://startingstrength.com/article...n_rippetoe.pdf and the first three questions The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe Don't change because it gets difficult - its is meant to get hard and your body needs that stress to force adaptation.

Even if you only get 1-2 months of progress on the program, that will be the equivalent of 4-8 months progress on something like 8-5-2 (in fact it will be even more as there will be more chance of interruptions over 4-8 months).

starting strength coach development program
    Gotcha. I think I spent too long going down the 5/3/1 methodology in my reading but guess I should just focus on the basics again instead of overcomplicating things and thinking I am further along in my training than I actually am. I'll stick to the original program as closely as possible and go for small increments on the pressing exercises. Will reevaluate in 1-2months depending on how I get on.